To Autumn

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

To Autumn

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:00 am

I believe it was today, September 19, 1819 that Keats wrote "To Autumn" in Winchester I think - just too tired to check right now. Anyway, I like to remember this date every year - now 199 years later - and recall our dear friend.

My wife and I have booked a flight to visit London next June 2019. We will see "Wentworth Place" (Keats Museum) of course, and environs. We should be around the London area for 5 days. It will be the 200th anniversary of Keats's annus mirabilis as you all know. So I hope they have something wonderful going on there. I am sure I will need time alone in that house - so I am hoping it won't be crowded.

And since we'll be in England, it will be far less expensive to fly to Rome from London, rather than fly from here in the States. So YES - we'll be going to Rome for one reason: Keats-Shelley Museum naturally. Yes, we may see other things for two days, as my wife can only take so much Keats. I, however, have no off switch on Keats. No problem for me. I am sure I will need time alone in that house. It will be very hard for me to leave I am sure.

As our friend Saturn has kindly suggested, I will take pictures and share them on this site, along with some of my thoughts on the trip. I hope by doing so, I may somehow serve you all in some small way.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Re: To Autumn

Postby CasaMagni » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:34 am

Great to hear that, I presume the cemetery will also be on your agenda. Yes I thought of him on Wednesday also, and recited the poem while strolling through an appropriately rustic setting. The most perfect poem in the language? Possibly, along with a Shakes sonnet or two.

Interesting talk here about the cemetery by N Stanley-Price, he's an excellent speaker -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=838ZRNnIF58
St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Postby Cybele » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 pm

OH, BL -- I'm so jealous! A trip to the UK has been on our bucket list for ages. (My husband's family was from Glasgow and he's been wanting to visit there for years.) Please do take lots and lots of photos!!!
By the way, I don't have an "off switch," either.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:35 am

The Hampstead house in June will be lovely, I'm sure your wife will love the little garden. When I was there with my girlfriend at the time she found it very peaceful.

If you go to https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things- ... ts-on.aspx you will find all the events taking place.

The Keats-Shelley House on the other hand is nice and compact, a welcome cooling space from the intense heat of a Roman summer and can be best enjoyed in the morning before it's too hot and busy outside.

Do indeed take pictures and share with us if you can.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:33 am

For those who have never been, or will never get the chance to go to Wentworth Place:

https://youtu.be/JSLqX9x6dMw
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays