Keats' anxiety about mortality

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats' anxiety about mortality

Postby mel » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:03 am

Hi, i was just wondering to what extent Keats is driven by anxiety about mortality, with reference to the poems "ode on melancholy", "to autumn", "La belle dame sans merci", and "Bright Star."
mel

Postby Lord Byron » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:43 am

If you look in his letters written around the time of those poems (early 1819, except for Bright Star) he made explicit statements about his views on mortality.
Lord Byron

Postby Princess » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:58 am

:lol: I personally think that this is a great question and would also appreciate it if some-one could answer it in a bit more depth :) :P
Princess

post subject

Postby sinaya » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:35 pm

:) HI! I Have a ? too.How can one reflect keats growing concern with the relation between art & life,beauty & reality?
sinaya

Postby sinaya » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:13 pm

:( Is there anyone to answer my ? plz? :?
sinaya

Re: post subject

Postby Despondence » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:44 am

sinaya wrote::) HI! I Have a ? too.How can one reflect keats growing concern with the relation between art & life,beauty & reality?

I think you underestimate the complexity of that question...the answer being something worthy of an essay.
Despondence

On Mortality

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:08 am

Keats like I've said over and over again is a man that would sit down and read Plato and Homer! He also grew up right after the AMERICAN REVOLUTION! Of course he was conscious of the fact that there is a process that occurs that is unique to the human individual.

See Keats knew that he was living in the infinite historical process, and knew that human thought was immortal! The only thing that remains when the human individual parishes is thought! Keats obviously recognized that things like Greek Sculptures had this unique quality to them, they were able to communicate an idea to generations to come. That's why Ode on a Grecian Urn is so crucial to understand.

Look at the way in which he respected Robert Burns. He obviously wasn't just going to ignore this man that came before him, he was in fact going to continue the legacy of great poets and artist that came before him. To get a sence of what I'm trying to communicate read the poem On First Reading Chapman's Homer (I might have the title wrong but it is something to that effect).
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays