Page 3 of 4

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:48 pm
by Raphael
Who did the drawing of John ( the first link)? I first thought it doesn't look much like him, but then I could see a little similarity to the life mask ( nose and mouth).

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:05 pm
by Saturn
It's by Severn. Probably a sketch for one of his posthumous paintings of Keats.

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:08 pm
by Raphael
Saturn wrote:It's by Severn. Probably a sketch for one of his posthumous paintings of Keats.


I had seen it before and wondered who it was by and if it was supposed to be John. He looks quite amused in this drawing!
But didn't Joseph Severn only do one posthunous painting- the one of John reading?
Have you got a link somewhere to this drawing please Saturn? I saved the pic to my pictures folder but it brings with it whole CD thing with it.

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:21 pm
by Saturn
This is the best version I can find.

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/67/C ... SF1772.jpg

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:36 pm
by Raphael
Saturn wrote:This is the best version I can find.

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/67/C ... SF1772.jpg


Thanks, I have seen that one- it isn't the same one as the one on the CD cover- but similar. Whoever drew him there- has given him lots of thick curly hair!

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:53 pm
by Raphael
I found the drawing on Google:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua ... ts-001.jpg

What huge eyes he has!

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:01 pm
by Saturn
Oops you're right, I had the wrong one; they're both interesting in their differences and compared to the other pictures we have of Keats.

I still think Brown's sketch is the most accurate and realistic. It looks more like a real person than some of the other more ethereal, transparent almost images of an idealised, saintly Keats figure.

All I know for sure is that Keats didn't look anything like Ben Wishaw. :mrgreen:

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:04 pm
by Malia
Saturn wrote:All I know for sure is that Keats didn't look anything like Ben Wishaw. :mrgreen:


You know, I always thought Ben Whishaw would have been a better contender to play Tom Keats, looks-wise; although we only have one not-so-great sketch of Tom to work with. But I assumed his hair color, at least, was darker than Keats's.

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:30 pm
by Raphael
Saturn wrote:Oops you're right, I had the wrong one; they're both interesting in their differences and compared to the other pictures we have of Keats.

I still think Brown's sketch is the most accurate and realistic. It looks more like a real person than some of the other more ethereal, transparent almost images of an idealised, saintly Keats figure.

All I know for sure is that Keats didn't look anything like Ben Wishaw. :mrgreen:


I like the big eyed drawing- it does have a resemblance to his life mask, as does Severn's 1816 charcoal drawing. And we are told by his sister that the ivory minature was also a good likeness. I like that one too and the Hilton one.I have to say i'm not keen on the Brown drawing as a likeness- it looks the least like him of all if one looks at his life mask.
An yes- he looked nothing like Ben Whishaw!

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:31 pm
by Raphael
Malia wrote:
Saturn wrote:All I know for sure is that Keats didn't look anything like Ben Wishaw. :mrgreen:


You know, I always thought Ben Whishaw would have been a better contender to play Tom Keats, looks-wise; although we only have one not-so-great sketch of Tom to work with. But I assumed his hair color, at least, was darker than Keats's.


To me Tom's hair looks blond- he looked very like his sister who had blond hair.

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:56 am
by harvest
perfect, thank you!! i know it may seem silly, but i need to hear them w/ a british accent for it to sound right ~ lol.

and i agree, ben's recital is spot on.

i do also love abbie/fanny's recital of bright star in the final scene of the movie, that's how it sounds in my head when i read it.

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:47 pm
by Raphael
harvest wrote:perfect, thank you!! i know it may seem silly, but i need to hear them w/ a british accent for it to sound right ~ lol.

and i agree, ben's recital is spot on.

i do also love abbie/fanny's recital of bright star in the final scene of the movie, that's how it sounds in my head when i read it.


I wish Ben would make a CD of him reading the poems with Mark Bradshaw's music in the background.
Yes, Abbie read Bright Star so well.

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:23 pm
by Cybele
Saturn wrote:It is very true, he wasn't completely burned, they did have to pour more fuel on the fire so to speak, it was a pretty grim ritual.
Trelawny was another character, most people know nothing about him but his life was very Walter Mitty-like, he was very much the wannabe hangar-on - a very colourful guy. I recommend David Crane's biography of him 'Byron's Jackal'.
A real life Pirate/adventurer literary groupie you could say almost.


There was also a decent biography of Trelawny written by William St. Clair. (Copyrighted in 1977, Vanguard Press) I would say that using "colorful" to describe Trelawny was wildly understating his character. :lol:

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:50 pm
by Saturn
'Larger than life' doesn't do him justice either.

Severn painted a very dashing Clark Gable-esque portrait of him in his pomp.

Re: Audio Keats and Podcasts

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:04 pm
by harvest
thank you again for mentioning these! they are great!~ :)





Saturn wrote:As ever this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Poets-Joh ... 928&sr=8-1

and this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Realms-Gold-Let ... 928&sr=8-2

Are the best recordings out there.

All spoken by British actors.