Parodies of his Poems?

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Parodies of his Poems?

Postby bard of passion » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:29 pm

Back in school there was no end to finding parodies of "the canon." Shakespeare and Wordsworth, especially. However, I do remember the Romantics getting their fair share of sophomoric wit.

Does anyone have good parodies of Keats? Not the grosser, witless ones involving puerility (is this a word??), but ones displaying a quasi-academic wit and flavor.

Stephen will award all sorts of fun geegaws and whizbangs, and maybe a furbelow to the ladies or a complete set of thingamajigs to the gents (perfect for fixing those odd whatcamacallits) for those submissions which, when judged by your nibs and His Self, were written in the spirit so requested.

He told me.

Honest.
bard of passion

Postby Saturn » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:37 pm

Excuse me?

I said no such thing

:roll:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

;)

Postby edwardkeenaghan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:39 pm

Bard,you should get that checked out ,the hearing problem or these voices in your head,because stephen didnt say that

:lol:
edwardkeenaghan
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:44 pm

And what is a furbelow anyway?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby bard of passion » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:50 am

Saturn wrote:Excuse me?

I said no such thing

:roll:

Well, yes, technically correct, however, I surmised from ancillary indications of a not too dissimilar quasi-statement of yours in a missive you mentioned that you might have posted but for some such reason of no importance here that well, you agreed in principle.

Such as it was.

I think.
bard of passion

Postby bard of passion » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:56 am

quote="Saturn"]And what is a furbelow anyway?[/quote

What the wag replied when the matron tsk-tsked the hurdygurdy for exposing his monkey to the elements, adorned with but a little cap...

"But, madam, he has fur below!"
Last edited by bard of passion on Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
bard of passion

Postby bard of passion » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:59 am

To those of pedestrian stride, a 'furbelow' is a flounce or ruffle on the bottom of skirt. From the Provence, farbello, a great language for poetry (and also our source for egret and espadrille!)
bard of passion

l

Postby edwardkeenaghan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:23 am

To those of pedestrian stride,???

And what stride do you exactly come from

:wink:
edwardkeenaghan
At Parnassus' foot

Eh?

Postby darthoutis » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:05 pm

Alright, Bard of Passion, I'm going to do you a favor that I wish someone had done me when I was like you (hehe, Denise is going to call me a hypocrite for this, but this post is meant to be somewhat ironic).

Your style of communication is cumbersome and counter-productive, I think. I believe you should cultivate a more Attican style, one which prefers plainess and efficiency over ornate display. While your Ciceronian speech--nay, in fact, Asiatic-- is intriguing, I am distracted by your loquacity. To be honest, I haven't even digested the content of your post yet because I've been too repelled by your long strings of superfluous words. So that by trying your reader with tedious language such as you do, you undermine the whole premise of posting.

And yes, according to the OED, puerility is a word.

I also need some more caffeine. I have class in five minutes.
Last edited by darthoutis on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What though the field be lost?
All is not lost; the unconquerable Will,
And study of revenge, immortal hate,
And courage never to submit or yield:
And what is else not to be overcome?
darthoutis

Re: Eh?

Postby bard of passion » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:46 pm

darthoutis wrote:Alright, Bard of Passion, I'm going to do you a favor that I wished someone had done me when I was like you (hehe, Denise is going to call me a hypocrite for this, but this post is meant to be somewhat ironic).

Well then, darthoutis, thanks for noticing some of what (you term) the "Asiatic" :roll: speech is trying to convey: a playfulness and challenge to get a response other than another wolflarsen posting of an excerpt to his newly copywrited and published in serial form in India novel.

Geez Louise, what did you think my intention was in using this vocabulary? To get a TA position? A chair in Romantic Emoticons?
I thought a website devoted to All Things Keats would have a little more TALK of Keats (in one's life, in one's own work, in one's profession) and less "look at me with a pint" and "here's me with my new girl,"

In trying to stir things up a bit here I thought a different approach might bring out responses other than those spambots (a loquaciousness of a diffferent type).

For a site with so much potential (the upper forms, high schoolers, the scholars, fervid fans of poetry, poets, undergrads and those with Pretensions, i.e., post-grads) there is not much back and forth on things pertaining to Keats. And you fault my efforts at calling for discussion because of style and tone???

Your style of communication is cumbersome and counter-productive, I think. So that by trying your reader with tedious language such as you do, you undermine the whole premise of posting.
quote]

Really, darthoutis, the subject here was in jest. I am sorry you missed it.
bard of passion

Re: Eh?

Postby Saturn » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:24 pm

bard of passion wrote:I thought a website devoted to All Things Keats would have a little more TALK of Keats (in one's life, in one's own work, in one's profession) and less "look at me with a pint" and "here's me with my new girl,"

In trying to stir things up a bit here I thought a different approach might bring out responses other than those spambots (a loquaciousness of a diffferent type).

For a site with so much potential (the upper forms, high schoolers, the scholars, fervid fans of poetry, poets, undergrads and those with Pretensions, i.e., post-grads) there is not much back and forth on things pertaining to Keats. And you fault my efforts at calling for discussion because of style and tone???

There is plenty of scope for you to talk about Keats or whatever you wish and people will reply or not according to their interests and if you don't mind me saying your superior tone is off-putting to say the least and your rather snide comments on other people's posts are not welcome at all.

You are not going to make many friends on here or get any debates going with that attitude.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:35 pm

I think part of the problem here is that we cannot "read" tone in postings and that (along with a lack of body language) makes this a less-than-complete form of communication that is prone to misinterpretation. I'm currently taking an organizational communication class and the first thing we learned was that 60% of communication is body language. We have none of that here on the forum. It can help to remind ourselves (as I often remind myself when I'm posting to this forum) to try and be as direct as possible and try not to use too much subtlty (sp) or sarcasm that could be easily misinterpreted.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:42 pm

I know what you mean but this guy just wants to stir some shit for his own amusement.

There's a difference between gentle, friendly playfulness and just winding people up to get a rise out of them.

There's no hidden agenda in what I write, everything is true and from the heart and that's just how I am. I don't seek to play games with people or provoke them here, I'm just being myself and people either like that or they don't.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby bard of passion » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:53 pm

Saturn wrote:I know what you mean but this guy just wants to stir some shit for his own amusement.

There's a difference between gentle, friendly playfulness and just winding people up to get a rise out of them.

There's no hidden agenda in what I write, everything is true and from the heart and that's just how I am.

No, Stephen, I don't want to "stir some shit for [my] own amusement." The playfulness should have been evident in the language used (the running on about a prize to be awarded, the tentative answer to your terse reply of my initial posting.

Look, I don't come down hard on someone and then apologize privately for it. If that is honesty for you, fine. I know who is god here. But cut out the self-righteousness crap about who has a hidden agenda and who is posting things for his own amusement.

Reading past postings I noticed a lot of interesting comments and threads that started to go places and then just died. Where are those people now? Chased away?

Not all of them were IB students, Stephen.

As moderator (and probably Johannes Factotum here for all I know!) I would imagine your role to be one of encouragement and cheerleader.

I was answering a specific charge that my initial posting was too loquacious and not on point. The point was to raise some voices from out here in the Keats wilderness.

The only ones that seem to matter, however, are those who subscribe to some tacit (I haven't found the rules of the clique, yet) understanding of how to compliment Saturn.

Sorry, no can do.
"I can see!" cried the blind man, as he picked up the hammer and saw.
bard of passion

:)

Postby edwardkeenaghan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:16 pm

pERSONALLY,and may i talk for many of the members Bard if stephen was not here we may not be here,he guides the ship and he is indeed our captain if we were bored we would leave .

Stephen encourages us like any captain,and it is us together who is a team,like a cheerleader team we dance,kick and chant to our rhythm all of us and we would tumble if it was not for the encoragement and belief of stephen.

He steers the ship,he is not above us were all equal here,any one who belives their are superior dont fit into our cheerleading team.

:wink:

Go TEAM !!!! :D :D
edwardkeenaghan
At Parnassus' foot

Next

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays