Help needed--dedication quote

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Help needed--dedication quote

Postby Despondence » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:48 pm

I have a bit of an odd and quite egotistic request here, but if I'm momentarily allowed to indulge my ego for a noble purpose, then this surely is the forum for it.

I am looking for a poem, a fragment of verse, sonnet, stanza or ballad or whatever to include on the dedication page of my thesis. It need not paint a picture of the thesis topic itself (which might prove difficult here by my topic being that of astronomy), but just stand as something beautiful, or memorable, or philosophical and contemplative.

I have a few ideas going around in my head, drawn from my limited and selective reservoir of Keats' poetry, but I thought to ask the readers of this forum for help in this matter. Any ideas or suggestions will be much appreciated--maybe simply your own favourite little piece will be just what I'm looking for!

Thanks in advance! (I have until mid-March to think about this, then it goes to press..)
Despondence

a dedication suggestion

Postby Dove » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:41 am

i'm not sure what you'll think of this, but it does tie in w/ astronomy.......
"Bright star, would I were stedfast as thou art!--
Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night,
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like Nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,
The moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing on the new soft fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains and the moors--
No-- yet still stedfast, still unchangeable,
Pillow'd upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel for ever its soft fall and swell,
Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so live ever-- or else swoon to death."

hope that helps, or at least inspires you! :D
Dove

Postby Despondence » Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:05 pm

This is a very nice sonnet, thanks for your input. It is actually the poem I myself had nominated lest someone would come up with something better, so I'm glad to hear that you second it! :)

Btw, maybe I should have said that it is not imperative that it be Keats - although he's my favourite, I would happily include a Wordsworth or Shakespeare poem or whatever feels right ("Evening star" by Poe was suggested by one, and I like this one). Well, I'm still open to suggestions - have the better part of an E5 page to dispose - can fit a lot of poetry therein...
Despondence

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays