Keat's connection to shelley?

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keat's connection to shelley?

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:38 am

Is there any connection between Keats and Shelley?
Because somehow Skylark and Nightingale is really similar

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:16 pm

Hi
My post isnt really a reply to your post but i just wanted to say that after reading your comment guest i looked up Shelleys' 'To a skylark', panicking that maybe Keats genius masterpiece that is 'Ode to a Nightingale' was perhaps not so genius at all and that Keats had used the idea from Shelley's poem 'To a skylark'. I was so releived when i saw that Keats poem was written at least two years before Shelleys'. Phew!

I am ashamed that i doubted Keats but my suspicions were valid. I knew how Keats always felt threatened by the upper class poets such as Byron and Shelley and I just thought that perhaps they had a major influence on him, even in the subject matter of his poems.

The two poems are similar in a way but i am glad to say that Keats' piece is all his own work and that his poem is probably a lot deeper and more thought-provoking.

From a very ashamed Keats lover.
Matt
Matt

Keats and Shelly

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:00 am

Leigh Hunt, Keats and Shelly were basically a part of a network of Republican thinkers. They would hang out sometimes with a bottle of wine, recite poems, read Shakespeare and Plato. Leigh Hunts newspaper basically the medium to fight the upper class poets who were horrible!

I disagree with this idea that Shelly was a poet that wasn't profound. His poems are just as profound as Keats' poesie.
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:28 pm

i thought keats & shelley were "special" friends :wink:

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays