Keats' significance to Dickinson's poetry....?

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats' significance to Dickinson's poetry....?

Postby kara » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:13 pm

Hi,
I've just recently been exposed to Keats and have developed a profound interest in how his life affected his poetry. I'm also an Emily Dickinson
fan, and was wondering if anyone knew as to whether the young man in "I died for Beauty" was intended to represent Keats (i.e. Ode on a Grecian Urn)? I've tried looking as to whether Dickinson was influenced by him or not, but have come up empty handed. Any help would be much appreciated. :D
kara

Emily Dickinson

Postby Ellen » Sun May 23, 2004 1:33 am

Emily Dickinson was a very private person. She did not even want her poems published. She would submit them to local journals as anonymous, but she did not want her name to be published. Her sister collected the poems and had them published after Emily's death.

I just read about Emily Dickinson on www.poets.org. The biography did mention that John Keats plus Robert and Elizabeth Browning were her favorite poets. Anyhow, any meanings to the poems should be interpreted by the reader, because Emily may not have discussed her poems much. I suspect that you are correct, and that she wrote the poem about beauty because of the poetry of Keats. You might like to read a biography about Emily Dickinson, because she was an interesting person.

Ellen
My personal best!
Ellen

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays