Ode to a Grecian urn

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Ode to a Grecian urn

Postby LOST!! » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:39 pm

I am new to reading keats material, but was interested in his work so i chose to analyze Ode to a Grecian Urn for my english class. Unfortunatly i am having trouble decifering the meaning behind this beautiful poem. Please respond if you have any insight!!
LOST!!

ode to a grecian urn

Postby tom finney » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:03 pm

Ode to a Grecian Urn was Influenced by Keats on seeing the Elgin Marbles. It is a bit of escapism i.e. the figures have seen everything come and go. (Silence and slow time).
tom finney

RE: Ode to a Grecian Urn

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:38 pm

I believe that Ode to a Grecian Urn asks the question of where creative power lies. Does the person looking at a piece of art, reading a poem, etc create/validate art....ie...does art reside in the reader

Meaning of poem

Postby Romantic » Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:48 am

The meaning of this poem I believe lies in imagination. "Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter", what a perfect line to exemplify my claim. The melodies we hear, or reality can be nice, but those melodies unheard, or our imagination is always sweeter. Our imagination is always perfect, therefore it is when reality hits us, that then our bliss is ended. The imagination is never over on the urn, the unheard perfect melodies still play, the lovers still hold on to that last second before kissing, that last second before bliss is ended by reality. This poem teaches us that our imagination is a place to discover perfection, and that once we meet reality, that perfection and bliss is gone, and dead.

-From a helpless romantic...
vanvelden@aol.com
Romantic

Re: Ode to a Grecian urn

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:11 am

LOST!! wrote:I am new to reading keats material, but was interested in his work so i chose to analyze Ode to a Grecian Urn for my english class. Unfortunatly i am having trouble decifering the meaning behind this beautiful poem. Please respond if you have any insight!!

Keats is big on imagination, if you look at his other poems, he makes alot of stories up from what is around him. (In La bell... for instance he tells a story about a knight telling a story, who's dream tells a story...that takes imagination)

but as far as this poem goes, i think it hits on the idea of anticipation is infanitly better then the real thing, the milasecond before it takes place, there is still wonder and unending posibility.
the world of our imagination offers us so much before the physical reality takes place. as for the two lovers who will never kiss, well they can never kiss because they are on a urn, but if you look deeper, what could they do, there is so much left open in that depiction, and i belive that was his point, think of what could be.

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays