ode to autunm

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

ode to autunm

Postby The Ideal Height » Sun May 09, 2004 5:01 pm

what does this poem mean ?? it dosent really seem to have a concrete theme or intergral message. anybody have any ideas ?
The Ideal Height

Postby Elli » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:16 pm

I always presumed it didn't necessarily have a meaning, per se, it was more a celebration of a season that is usually rejected, in favour of the life of spring, or the fantastic weather of summer, or the (and I hate to say this, but...) "magic" of winter.

As the poem progresses, so does Autumn. Towards the end of the poem, Keats adopts a mournful air as he acknowledges that the season is coming to an end, and making way for the beginning of winter.
Last edited by Elli on Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*~*Elli*~*
Elli

Ode to Autumn

Postby Saturn » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:37 am

I'm cheating a bit here by looking at the notes in the Complete Poems (Penguin Classics edition).

There it says that the poems meaning is implict, not explicit .

As for my own view, I think that Keats is defnitely showing a preference for Autumn, as opposed to the most popular season for most people, Summer.

In the poem he personifies Autumn (a common poetic device) in order to describe it's operations, or it's attributes. He pictures Autumn like a Classical goddess, much like the Greek goddess Persephone (Roman name Prosperine) whose abduction by Hades (Roman name Pluto) is one of the most famous and influential of the Greek myths.

Persephone's abduction caused her mother Demeter (Roman name Ceres) such grief that she, as goddess of the harvest, left all her work and the earth was barren and unproductive for many years.

Eventually, Zeus (Jupiter in the Roman pantheon) relented and allowed Persephone to remain six months on the earth and the other six months in the infernal regions of Hades.

This famous myth is how the ancient Greeks tried to explain the seasons, much as in the same way (and this may be controversial to some) the "Bible" uses stories like Genesis to explain things that were totally uniteligible to our ancestors.

Well, I've gone off the point a bit, but anyway, Keats uses the first two stanzas to describe the various processes of nature that happen in Autumn and in the third stanza, he celebrates Autumn as a time which has it's own particular charms, a time of change, but not a totally desolate period as most people think (only the mention of "stubble-plains" gives a hint of the winter to come).

Well, I'm sure that was no help at all!!!!!
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Neelima Nair » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:03 am

even me needed to know the meanin...hmm...
«O Sorrow,
Why dost borrow
The natural hue of health, from vermeil lips? -.....
WAtya wanna know?
Neelima Nair

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays