THE MODERN DAY KEATS

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

THE MODERN DAY KEATS

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:44 pm

You may argue that there is no one like Keats but which modern day British Icon is most similar to the Romantic, passionate, tragic Keats? They dont have to be a poet. They can be anyone. Let me know what u think!

Merci Be Coup as the fabulous Lionel Blair once wrote

Matt
Matt

What do you mean by the new Keats?

Postby Saturn » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:22 pm

These kind of questions are always impossible to answer as I'm not really sure what you mean by the modern-day Keats.

It really depends which Keats you are talking about.

Is it the Keats of today's reputation - unknown by most of the population (except academics and poetry fans like ourselves), or the man of his own time - who was beloved of a small group of friends and family, but depised by most of the snobby literary establishment for his background and self-taught genius.

Does your question ask for someone of a similar profile today?
Do you mean someone who died tragically young at the age of twenty-five?

The two time periods and social distinctions are completely different.

Poetry's place has been usurped by the upstart that is popular music, and literature is seen as dull and boring stuff by most young people.

Contrast this with the attitude of the early nineteenth century people to literature and the arts. This was at this time a highly priveleged pastime for gentlemen of leisure (aristos or monied people), then as today, writers were seen as dreamers - people who don't do 'real' work.

We can not really compare the esteem that the arts were held in two hundred years ago with today's pluralist, populist cultural landscape.

Then books were still prohibitively expensive; today anyone can pick up a cheap paperback.

You may be thinking of Keats as if he could a modern rock-star - no comparison could be more ill-judged.
Pop and rock, by their very nature are frivolous and disposable things. There are some artists involved who make music of real integrity and value, but these are the exceptions to the rule. Most modern music is entertainment, and none the worse for that - that is it's raison d'etre.

Keats was a true artist, an intellectual of profound learning and widely read, and a philosopher to boot. Which modern artist or cultural icon could lay claim to even one of these attributes?

There isn't really anyone today who could lay claim to the withered laurels which erst sat on the brows of Keats - the uncrowned laureate of our hearts.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Modern-Day Keats

Postby Rich Roach » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:49 am

The modern-day Keats may never be found, even if he exists, which I doubt. I agree with Stephen that we may never see his like again. Yet we can appreciate the vigour of his verse and allow his genius to take us with him up those lowly steps of Apollo's temple.

Rich
Rich Roach

Postby Despondence » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:20 pm

A quick rummage of my cluttered cerebrum turned up nothing; there's no one quite like Keats. But then, I think Stephen might be overinterpreting Matt's post a bit; to find somebody as talented and as prolific might not be the point, but just someone capable of instilling that same feeling, in whatever fashion.

One could argue that Stephen Hawking grapples fundamental physics with the same passion and ardour as Keats his poetry - and if you understand it you might feel as uplifted and inspired as by the Odes. Or that Mike Oldfield channels the Muses through his guitar - and if you play the guitar (albeit badly) you might sense the same magic in that particular riff as in the Fall of Hyperion.

But those are perhaps bad examples; I'd have to think it over a bit to find your "British Icons" - but I do believe they exist!
Despondence

Amendement

Postby Matt » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:21 pm

Hi. I'm a bit drunk and just a tad dissapointed at the unbeleivable results against France. I have been thinking and i agree that there is no one quite like Keats around (at the moment anyway). A far more interesting question but perhaps one not appropriate for this site is who is the modern day Byron? A sexual deviant gifted with amazing or at least influential ability of some sort. Any ideas?
Matt

The Modern Day Keats?

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:11 pm

I know where there is a modern day John Keats: www.WLYM.com Log On and hear the greatest poets
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays