Total Beginner!

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Total Beginner!

Postby AndyC » Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:19 am

Hello

I am totally new to John Keats and to poetry. However, I am quite interested in learning due to recently reading one of his poems, (not sure which one).

I am actually looking for help as the something that I could read to learn more, I do not want to just read the poems themselves and would like a bit of background knowledge and explanations aswell.

So if anybody can help me, please do!

Thank you
AndyC
AndyC

RE: Absolute Beginner!

Postby Endymion » Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:58 pm

Hi AndyC,

The best introduction I can think of is a short biography - Andrew Motion's highly regarded biog is probably a little more than you want at this stage, but I'm sure a quick search on Amazon will yeild some results.

Try this too: Amazon have a VHS tape entitled "Famous Authors - John Keats" which features some poetry readings and a profile. I've not got this one myself yet, but it looks like a good starting point.

To understand the poems a little more try something like York Advanced Notes, there's a great deal to help you understand the thinking behind the poems and put them in their context.

Hope this helps!
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Thank you endyminion

Postby AndyC » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:58 pm

Thank you Endyminion,

I have recently ordered "John Keats(Analysing Texts)" by John Blades this has half the number of pages that the Andrew Motion book has and promises to give a good background of Keats and his work.

Hopefully this will help me to gain a better grasp of who Keats is and to appreciate his poems fully.

Thank you again

Andy C

:D
AndyC

Sorry Endymion

Postby AndyC » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:59 pm

Sorry Endymion for spelling your name wrong!
AndyC

to beginner

Postby derek » Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:06 am

You might want to know that the name you spelled wrong is one of Keats' most respected works. Endymion is a famous poem by our good friend John.
derek

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:25 am

What's you're reading of Why Did I Laugh Tonight?

Re: Sorry Endymion

Postby Endymion » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:50 pm

AndyC wrote:Sorry Endymion for spelling your name wrong!

No problem AndyC.

Shepherds don't usually fuss about whether or not you spell their name right!

Hope the info was useful. Let me know how helpful that other book you found was.
He Wondered
Endymion

Postby AndyC » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:19 pm

For some reason Amazon wouldn't let me buy the book I wanted, even though I have use bought other things since!

Anyhow, I have recently been reading a biography written by Sidney Colvin, which incidently is the same biography used by this site!

I am now reading Keats 1817 poems and I have a vague idea as to the actual meaning and aims of 'liberalism' however, i am struggling to see how they are used in Keats poems. :?

Can anyone enlighten me regarding liberalism? I can then try to see this in the poems themselves!
AndyC

hi

Postby becky » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:42 pm

God i am so very interested in john keats. i feel that he is a literay genius! What do you think? 8)
becky

Postby becky » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:44 pm

well i spose its cos they're liberal
becky

Postby lucemoose » Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:01 pm

:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: keats wuda luvd these!
we wrote a poem luk-

Keats was a man who died of consumption,
Although it was an almighty assuption ,
That poor Keats was really dead,
When he had only gone to bed.

They did not know that one day,
He would come back to play,

we have writers block, but do remember the bit that goes.....
He cut their heads off with a spear,
And gave them new ones of moose and of dear.
They roamed the earth half man and half beast,
Whilat keatsey-babes ate their heads in a feast.

wot yoo recun?
luce n becs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
lucemoose

o m L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby lucemoose » Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:12 pm

oh my lord, they have only gone and forgotten ode to melancholy on the voting thingy! how rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its our favourite because it better than the others. Why are there no keats ties and socks in the shop? We are not happy to be honest with the standards around dis joint....c'mon sowt it out lads! Also while we're on the subject of the ol comlainyness why o why is it that there is no singing keats on this site??????????????????? you fools , fools i say! :evil:
lucemoose

What's you're reading of Why Did I Laugh Tonight?

Postby Endymion » Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:13 pm

RE:
Anonymous wrote:What's you're reading of Why Did I Laugh Tonight?

When I saw this poem for the first time I knew exactly what he felt. Haven't you ever come back from a party or somewhere where there was an embarrassing moment, and you sit down and relive that moment, and analyse why you said what you did to make it embarrassing, or what you did that was out of charachter?

Keats was probably trying to show his unhappiness to his friends on the evening he was with them, and then slipped up, and did something not even he would have expected. And when he got home he sat and thought to himself "what a fool I am!" he wrote that beautiful peice.

Keats has this unbelieveable capability in his more relaxed poems to convey his exact thoughts and feelings precisely, and this is a brilliant example of it.

Anyway, there's my $2c.
He Wondered
Endymion

Looking for a Keats poem...

Postby she » Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:29 pm

Hey,
I was perusing the web for some help. I'm looking into Keats as a poet and/or dreamer, specifically looking at "Hyperion a fragment" and the "Fall of Hyperion: A dream" but I can't find the "Fall..." on your magnificent site!
Anyway, anyone have any tips on Keats as a poet/dreamer? I always struggle with poetry so any help would be appreciated.
Ps: I agree with those who wanted "Ode to Melancholy" in the favourites list, I love it too!
ta
she
she

Re: Looking for a Keats poem...

Postby Hope » Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:46 pm

I'm looking into Keats as a poet and/or dreamer, specifically looking at "Hyperion a fragment"...

Oooo I may be able to help with Hyperion in the near future, but unfortunately i'll have to wait till the new year! we're studying this particular one in depth in class, and my teacher is particularly thorough and interesting...so i'll get back to you when we do! happy New Year to all Keats lovers!
Hope

Next

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays