Total Beginner!

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: to beginner

Postby Shake » Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:49 pm

derek wrote:You might want to know that the name you spelled wrong is one of Keats' most respected works. Endymion is a famous poem by our good friend John.

That's right, Endymion is a famous poem by Keats! Besides I have to study it...and I must admit I am not a fan of Mr John Keats! Maybe I would like him more if I could understand what he wants to tell in his poem...You seem to like very much him and this poem so can I ask you what you think about it?
Anyway I must say that this site is really great and interesting!...

Shake
Shake

Keats' greatest merit?

Postby Despondence » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:30 pm

Hey folks, just thought to say hi, and throw a question out there:

:?: What do you feel is Keats' greatest strength, and the one thing more than anything else that makes you want to read his works? Be it some aspect of his literary genious, or a personal virtue, or his philosophy - anything qualifies.

For myself, I think the way he depicts and interrogates Despondency, by now embracing it in full and then fighting it with pen and virtue, is one of his most masterful skills, and what I admire the most about the poet (hence my vain username!).

What think ye, folks?

ciao
Despondence

dont understand

Postby helpme » Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:55 pm

hey all of you keats fans, Im studying To Hope in My high school English class, and im having trouble with the context, and such of this poem, any help would be great. thanks.
helpme

Metre in Keats' poems?

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:08 pm

Never having studied the liberal arts nor any poetry myself, I am curious about the metre of Keats' poems. Can anyone tell me whether in his various poems he adheres to some standard or well-known metres, or whether he's just wingin' it?

Postby Endymion » Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:25 pm

Keats' style varies quite considerably throughout his life, and I think it would be fair to say that his metre and whole style, in fact, changed depending on who was influencing him at the time. When he read lots of Shakespear, he wrote in sonnets, when he was composing Hyperion he wrote in Miltonic couplets. I'm not familiar with all the technical terms for the different types of metres he used, but it is fascinating to see how much it affects the reading of the poems.

Despondence, I think Keats' greatest strength was what you said, that in the face of all that went on in his life he held out that belief that beauty could cure all his ills, and the ills of the world. What an amazing philosophy.
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Can you all help me please?

Postby P-e-T-i-t-E FiLLe » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:48 am

Hi everybody !
I'm a very ... very beginner who start reading poem
And i got a homework to analyse " The Human Seasons"
by John Keats.Can you give me some (or may be a lotS :lol: )
opinions to critic this poem? :D :D Thanks anyway !!
P-e-T-i-t-E FiLLe

Previous

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays