Postby thenewaustria » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:54 pm

do you prefer to write in a stereotypical modern style

or one that is more antiquated?

I have seen examples of both

cheers
thenewaustria

My different styles of Poetry

Postby Saturn » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:35 pm

I suppose when I started writing poetry, being very unexperienced in such things, I just naturally wrote in simple rhymed couplets - which was all that I had been reading.

As I began to explore much more different styles of poetry from different ages, I began to realise that it needn't neccessarily rhyme to be a poem, that blank verse could infact be just as powerful as rhymed verse.

I don't actually have any preferred style - whatever the Muse dictates is fine by me, though in writing love poetry I often retreat to a more archaic rhymed verse.

To be honest the only really "modern" poetry I have read is actually translations of the ancient Greek and Roman poets, which in keeping with the styles of the time, was always blank verse.
Rhyme was virtually unknown to the ancients, it is a medieval trait.

In fact, rhyme as we know it today is a relatively recent innovation in western poetry, coming from the Provencal poets and troubadors of the eleventh and twelfth centuries onwards, gradually becoming more and more common.

It's funny how rhyme today is seen as the archaic mode of verse, whereas the reverse is true, it is actually the blank, accentual mode that is the more antiquated.

:roll: P.S. Thanks for spelling my surname wrong.
Don't worry, it's actually an unusual old Irish name which actually means something like 'crooked' - I don't know what that says about me though!!
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby thenewaustria » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:43 am

you are welcome
professor
thenewaustria

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays