How old is everyone, writing history, etc.?

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

How old is everyone, writing history, etc.?

Postby thenewaustria » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:46 am

I was just wondering

I have read a lot of posts on this site and have come to recognize those of you posting regularly

and how old is everyone? How did you all become interested in verse, etc.?

just for anyone who would like to share

cheers
thenewaustria

How old, how I got interested in poetry etc.

Postby Saturn » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:05 am

Contrary to what you might of thought, I'm not actually that old, only twenty-four (if that's still young these days - I hope so!!!), and have been mistaken for much younger.

My introduction to poetry was sort of by accident - quite strange really, but here goes.
I'm a great Iron Maiden fan, and one their longest, most epic songs was based on Coleridge's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", so one day I decided to buy a cheap edition of his selected poems in order to read The Mariner, and from that day on, I've never looked back really.

Of course it helps being unemployed for two years after leaving university and being manic-depressive if you need an excuse to read more. It's amazing how much you can learn if you have absolutely no social life, friends etc.

Not that I'd recommend it at all - mine is a wasted life. I'd exchange all my useless "learning" and accumulation of knowledge to have those years back again, and to have accumulated more real-life experiences, instead of just reading about them.

Please don't call me 'Professor' that's the last thing I'd want to be!

Another thing, I don't speak at all like the way I write. - that would be ridiculous - actually I talk quite down-to-earthly and normally.

"...ah, poems amount to so little when you write them too early in your life. You ought to wait and gather a sense and sweetness for a whole lifetime, and a long one if possible, and then, at the very end, you might perhaps be able to write ten good lines. For poems are not, as people think, simply emotions (one has emotions early enough) - they are experiences. For the sake of a single poem, you must see many cities, many people and Things..."
-Rilke

Bet no one here belives that idea. Discuss.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Matt » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:14 pm

I'm 18

And perhaps unlike Stephen I do have a social life. I get pissed more than I should and am very prone to vices

I got into Keats at school and its not just the poetry that appeals to me but the idea of 'The Romantic poet' as a whole.

I am at school at the moment but am willing later on perhaps to discuss this further
Matt

How I got interested in poetry?

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:19 am

I'm around the 18-25 age interval but the question about the interest in poetry is some what ironic in my case. I was interested in spoken word and did that for a short time period. Then I ran into a revolutionary political movement and I was introduced to real poetry.

www.WLYM.com log on and find out what kind of cultural revolution I'm trying to create with my comrads!
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays