occupations and occupassions

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

occupations and occupassions

Postby thenewaustria » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:49 am

just wondering

what does everyone who frequents this site do?

do any of you plan to make a career of writing?

Matt is a student, right? and someone is a scientist but I forget

just curious if anyone plans to publish their work or if you have other careers

p.s.
How goes the romantic quest of Stephen Saturn? Are you still smitten?

cheers
thenewaustria

Occupations and distractions

Postby Saturn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:04 pm

At present, I am sadly one of the great unwashed, unemployed race, but have been applying for various jobs, and had an interview last week to work in the local Electoral office - exciting stuff or what? Before I worked for the local examinations board, marking tests (hideously dull!!)

I can only but dream of writing full time - I have no contacts or qualifications for doing so, but I would love to write in some capacity. Nobody ever earned a living from poetry, so that isn't an option (mine is terrible anyway), but I'd perhaps like to review books, work as an editor, or in the literary world in some way.

I think it's Despondence who's a scientist - check his site on his profile.

As to my amour - it's early days, but I have this site to thank - we kind of met through, though not actually on here. It's a long confusing story.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Matt » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:39 pm

Hi there,

I'm currently awaiting my A level results. If I get what I want then I will go to my first choice University, Exeter, where I will be doing a degree in English Literature, after which I will do a PGCEand go into teaching. ( If I do not get into Exter then hopefulyl I will have still obtained the results I need for my insurance University which is Lancaster where I will do a degree in English Literature and Creative Writing and then the PGCE)

I would love to become a published poet but I do not think my work is strong enough contrary to Stephen and Despondence's praise. Sometimes it is tempting to think that perhaps my work is worthy of their praise but I suffer from strong self doubt.

I dont want to stop at just being a published poet though. I am a big fan of the Romantic period and as i've mentioned elsewhere on the site I am in love with the character (and yes-the celebrity) of Lord Byron. If I were to become a published poet I wouldnt want to just be another poet. I'd like to exploit my young age to try and bring poetry back to the fore. I think what Britain needs another Byron. Call me naive, silly or ridiculous but my ultimate aim would be to have the whole country knowing who I am with half of them loving me adoringly and the other half: I'd want them to detest me.

Hope thats good for ya-Respond!

ps. And Stephen-I wouldnt mind a modern day 'long confusing' love story. So please-explain.

Matt
x
Matt

Postby Despondence » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:25 pm

"Scientists?"

<raises hand>

Yeah. The Universe conspired against me to see me through MSc (physics), PhD (astronomy) and postdocs, instead of getting a real life. Like someone said, my home page is out there.

Boy, Stephen: your next post better be something out of the ordinary - your 100th one! :)

(but we'll celebrate your hundred-and-eleventh too)
Despondence

I want to be the new Byron!

Postby Saturn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:51 pm

Much as I love Keats, there has always been something both dangerous and exciting about Byron.
He was the first poet who I read the complete works of when I was in University (I was supposed to be reading Greek and Roman History at the time) and his poetry really engrossed me completely for a long time.

In his day he was the equivalent of Mick Jagger or Elvis, and almost as loved and hated as someone likeMarilyn Manson (he was certainly demonised by many).
Men wanted to be like him (even Keats flirted with the "Byronic" look) and women wanted to have sex with him.
What guy doesn't want to be respected and admired by other men and adored by women?

As I wrote in my "Decline of Poetry" poem, I'd love, like Matt, to raise poetry up again from the dirt and make it young, exciting and sexy - a political and cultural force in the world again, but due to lack of talent and the literary situation of today, it seems doubtful that poetry will ever again have the same popularity and impact it did have in the Romantic period of the early ninettenth century.

It seems incredible today that so many books were sold (Byron's poem 'The Corsair' sold an amazing ten thousand on it's first day of publication!!!) at that time, and that peole from all classes of society read poetry not beacuse they had to for school, but purely from pleasure.

It truly was the golden age of English poetry, perhaps even more so than the Elizabethan period, as more people could read and books were not as expensive and exclusive as they were in Shakespeare's time.

Anybody almost could be published if you had the good fortune to get a noble patron - people like Keats and John Clare would never have seen their work in print in the sixteenth century.

Enough, there's numero cento per tuo, il mio amici!
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays