Well hello, is anyone there?????

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Well hello, is anyone there?????

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:14 am

In cyberspace no-one can hear you.......

.......smeg :wink: :lol: :lol:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

last minute shopping recommendation???

Postby Despondence » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:23 am

I didn't know that was a verb, although the Wikipedia informs that it is a vulgarism made popular by the british scifi Red Dwarf.....who'd a thunk it.

Anyway, in answer to your question, it's low season again. Obviously. Maybe we should all take a stab at the voynich manuscript in the meantime, just to keep us busy discussing something intellectually profound.

Anyway 2, does anybody in the east pacific time zone have a recommendation for a good book, that is also slightly expensive? I have a 30% Borders discount coupon that I have to redeem TODAY, before it expires.
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:52 pm

If you're interested in a bit of Roman History then check out

The Fall Of The Roman Empire [A New History] by Peter Heather.

An excellent modern survey of the late-Roman world and early "Dark-Ages" [how I hate that erroneous term :evil: ]

Don't know if it's translated into Dutch yet, but your English is excellent anyhow Despondence :wink:

That or buy yet another version of Keats' poems - I think I have about 5 different editions at least - you can never have too much of Keats :roll:

Oh and "Smeg" is from Red Dwarf - top show, sadly missed :cry:

"Smegma", though is a whole different word :lol: :lol:

Too rude to explain here, but Keats would have loved it, knowing his love of bawdy :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:35 pm

Yeah, I did opt for history, in a sense - but rather than Roman history I went for the boxed dvd set of Black Adder :D (although there is that bit where he time travels back to meet his Roman Centurion self..)

And just fyi, I'm not Dutch. The Ultimate North was once my home; now, I'm sipping mai tais in the middle of the Pacific ;)

"Hat - Spanish.
Shoes - Italian.
Codpiece - black Russian"
Despondence

Postby Steen » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:00 pm

Lol....I never watched Red Dwarf until my girlfriend made me! It's quite good in truth!
However I know have to get her a penguin hand puppet like "Mr Fribbles" from the episosde "Quantine" while I am on hoilday! Where in the name of Gods Green Gecko will I find that!

Anyway, I always found pre 16th C stuff more interesting then modern history....it gets so political....just a game of who can screw the little guys over first in the name of personal power. How dull.

Meh.
You don't love a women because she is beatiful, she is beatiful because you love her.
Steen

Postby Endymion » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:27 pm

Try the poems of Catallus. Though it's probably too late for your voucher. Sorry!

I'm not going to go near that voynich manuscript again until you prove to me you didn't get a face like your avatar trying to decipher it ;-)
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:52 am

Endymion wrote:Try the poems of Catallus.

Good choice - then try Ovid, Horace, Propertius etc.....

Then Juvenal for a bit of satire :D

Oh and Despondence good choice on the Blackadder DVDs - I've been drooling over them for years and really want them but can never afford them :cry:

Been watching the I Claudius boxset recently - the greatest TV drama series ever made??? Quite possibly :D

Didn't know you were from Thule :lol: :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:38 pm

Stephen Saturn wrote:
Endymion wrote:Try the poems of Catallus.
Good choice - then try Ovid, Horace, Propertius etc.....

Thanks fellas, I need to discover something new (well, anything post-hellenistic will do). Only one day too late - I sent off an order to Amazon yesterday (doubt they have Catallus at my local Borders..). Any particular translation that's recommended? Although browsing around the onlines stores, I don't find a whole lot of editions of Catallus at all.. Oh well, the Oxford World Classics paperback would go well with my withered same-edition copy of the Metamorphoses.

Stephen Saturn wrote:Then Juvenal..

Even more togas.. Say, what do you people think of Baudelaire? I haven't read any - someone put me off by saying he has to be read in original language (my French is currently a bit rusty..)

Stephen Saturn wrote:Didn't know you were from Thule :lol: :lol:

Aye. Though I consider myself a citizen of the world 8)
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:32 am

I'm a bit toga-mad sorry :lol:

The Penguin translation of Catullus is recommended - well, it's the only one I've found.

Have you read any Rilke??

I'd recommend some of his stuff - how about some Irish poetry - some Heaney then maybe some English - Ted Hughes :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:29 am

Stephen Saturn wrote:Have you read any Rilke??

Very little - I picked up a bilingual version (english/german - I do speak some german) of the Elegies and the Sonetts to Orpheus, which I quite enjoyed, but I guess it didn't get me hooked like Keats :) I should read more Rilke, though. Too little time to do everything one wants..

Have you seen Thilo's Rilke site, the sister site to this one? Impressive work there, and a substantially more active forum!
Despondence

Postby Endymion » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:47 pm

The only translation I have of Catallus is Hugh Macnaghten, it's quite old, I don't know if it's still in print. But I guess you've got to start with one and then diversify if you find the writer that interesting.

I'm getting plenty of tips myself from your discussion, thanks! I'll take a look at the Rilke site.

We musn't forget Boris Pasternak, what a genius!

From modern poets I particularly like Catherine Fisher. She's a local Welsh lady, and writes beautifully.
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Postby Steph J » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:38 pm

Despondence wrote:
Anyway, in answer to your question, it's low season again. Obviously.

Low season? is that when there's no English students searching around for homework help?
So it should start picking up again next month..
Maybe I'll find on the way down the line, that I'm free- free to be me (8 years on, I think I've achieved this ;))

http://www.keatsian.co.uk
Steph J

Postby Saturn » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:11 pm

Steph J wrote:
Despondence wrote:
Anyway, in answer to your question, it's low season again. Obviously.

Low season? is that when there's no English students searching around for homework help?
So it should start picking up again next month..

In about two or three weeks time we'll be swamped by desperate kids looking for homework answers :roll: :roll: :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Steph J » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:26 pm

:D ah well, i'll be happy to help. They can also email keats_rocks@hotmail.co.uk if they want. I'm in contact with the teacher who taught me Keats; she recently moved to Mexico, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind helping via email either. 8)
Maybe I'll find on the way down the line, that I'm free- free to be me (8 years on, I think I've achieved this ;))

http://www.keatsian.co.uk
Steph J

Postby Despondence » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:15 pm

Despondence wrote:
Stephen Saturn wrote:Have you read any Rilke??
Very little - I picked up a bilingual version of the Elegies and the Sonetts to Orpheus, which I quite enjoyed, but I guess it didn't get me hooked like Keats

Hey guys, I believe have to revise my statement on Rilke....I reread the Sonetts to Orpheus yesterday, in German. And boy, does the translation suck! I mean really - I feel a bit cheated, because I read on the back sleve of the cover that the translator (Poulin) had received some award or other for this particular translation. So I figured, this is probably as good as it gets: if I don't like Rilke by this translation, then I don't like Rilke.

Man, was I wrong. I honestly have to say that I had one of those almost religious experiences as I started reading the Sonetts to Orpheus in Rilkes own pen; a whole new world opening up, like loosing your virginity all over again. And I can only say this - absolutely brilliant stuff, by a clear genius, but unfortunately the translation I have sucks big time (I actually started writing some of my own translations in sheer outrage...) Wholeheartedly recommended. If you don't read any German, here's one fine reason to start learning :)
Despondence

Next

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays