Keats / Happiness

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Keats / Happiness

Postby dks » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:16 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:*Sigh* I wish I could convey how happy it makes me to find so many kindred spirits!

Here, here! "Kindred spririts"--yes! Cyber or not--who gives a damn? I love being in all of your company!
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:28 pm

dks wrote:
AsphodelElysium wrote:*Sigh* I wish I could convey how happy it makes me to find so many kindred spirits!

Here, here! "Kindred spririts"--yes! Cyber or not--who gives a damn? I love being in all of your company!

Boy, do I ever agree with you both. I fully and happily concur.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Gavinci » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:20 am

I was sitting alone in my Den late on a Saturday night. I laughed. It was a strange laugh. And I remembered the poem by Keats which I had not read for years. This morning I searched, and found the poem, and this site.

Reading the poem again, it made me happy. This perfect sonnet, still alive. And it took me to that place where poetry is born. A very particular impulse, wants expression, its form, and when it is found it answers more than the poet ever knew to ask. So here, Keats laughs with, and against Death.

Also, in the first lines, he celebrates the Mystery of his utterance, as its only answer. He asks, and finds a poem in answer. A rhythm of words, like a little craft of meaning, rowed across a difficult sea, with the sure calm strokes of a master oarsman. It is for me the triumph of poetry when its rhythm of meaning takes over the mind, and induces a state of perception which "sees" with the poet, a world which can only be sung.

I have often thought that poems, the true vatic voice, is never about things. It is more like a door, a gateway, a portal. And perhaps we too need some "negative capability" to permit ourselves entrance, hear the call, and go through. And Keats invites, uniquely for me. It is an extraordinary intimacy, a company of the most genuine human warmth, he shares instantly. He is right there, and how should I not be delighted at the glow which comes with him, like the measure for everything he allowed to stay on a page.
Gavinci

Postby Raphael » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:38 pm

I was wondering does reading Keats make you feel happy?

Some of the words are so magical then yes they make me happy. As BrokenLyre said:

Reading Keats makes me think and feel many things - joy, peace, sorrow, heavy, amazed, stunned, compassionate, vibrant, sad.

The same goes for me.

Do you have to be passionate to enjoy Keats?"

Nope! I’m about as passionate as a dead fish but I like the passion in his work!

So I think it helps to have passion (sensitive emotional registers) to understand Keats - at least to understand him existentially. I just wonder why more people don't "get Keats" even after long exposure. So I ask myself often, why does Keats strike me so deeply and not others? It's probably like why certain music strikes some people but not others. Oh well.

When I first was introduced to him at a literature class a few years ago, he bemused me, intrigued me, perplexed me with his emotional intensity. I didn’t get him but thought he was brilliant. I didn’t read him after the class but later on as a cynical middle aged person feel I get him now. I think it’s to do with my spiritual life- I’m into nature spirituality and Keats’s words on nature and the aliveness of it, death, cycles and the gods really resonate with me.

I have often thought that poems, the true vatic voice, is never about things. It is more like a door, a gateway, a portal. And perhaps we too need some "negative capability" to permit ourselves entrance, hear the call, and go through. And Keats invites, uniquely for me. It is an extraordinary intimacy, a company of the most genuine human warmth, he shares instantly. He is right there, and how should I not be delighted at the glow which comes with him, like the measure for everything he allowed to stay on a page.

Ooh I like that- the concept of a gateway, portal or door! I’ve been feeling this the past few nights reading the poems…I kind of feel I’m drifting into the images he evokes at times. I’m really sold on negative capability actually- that was one thing that baffled me years ago!
Great posts folks- keep them coming!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Previous

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays