New Bright Star clips

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: New Bright Star clips

Postby mevans » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:25 pm

I felt he brought integrity and respect to the role- he has said in one of his interviews that it was a "privilage" to play John keats and that he was "an amazing soul". It was nice that Ben had such respect for our dear Junkets and genuinely has been affected by reading his works.

Although I've not seen the movie yet (I suppose I'll have to wait until it is released on dvd) I have seen all the clips and the interviews out there. I really liked Ben's interview that you posted here. He says he seems to lose himself in his roles and you can definitley tell this by watching Brideshead Revisited or Perfume, I almost didn't recognize him as Keats. My only criticism is that he seems quite thin for the role. But, I don't think that really matters because he isn't playing John Keats but the character of Keats. I'm so glad some director didn't come along and jumble this up terribly because it could have easily happened. I think we've all seen really awful bio pics. Alas, I can scarcely wait until January and I think I may pre-order my copy so it will be here on the release date.
"And if thou wilt, remember,/And if thou wilt, forget." - Christina Rossetti
mevans

Postby Raphael » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:02 pm

Although I've not seen the movie yet (I suppose I'll have to wait until it is released on dvd) I have seen all the clips and the interviews out there. I really liked Ben's interview that you posted here. He says he seems to lose himself in his roles and you can definitley tell this by watching Brideshead Revisited or Perfume, I almost didn't recognize him as Keats.

Ben is a brilliant actor- glad you liked the interview- Malia has posted another great one! I'm getting it on DVD too- when it's out- are you not getting it in the cinemas in the USA then?

My only criticism is that he seems quite thin for the role. But, I don't think that really matters because he isn't playing John Keats but the character of Keats.

Well our dear poet got thin when he got ill poor thing- the doctors bled him, put him on starvation diets so he did become thin.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby mevans » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:58 am

when it's out- are you not getting it in the cinemas in the USA then?

Alas, we did get it in the US but only in limited release and since I live in a culturally depraved area, it was only in limited release and would have involved me driving a long distance. I think that will make the dvd release all that sweeter and I can watch it over and over again if I choose.

Either way it sounds like a fabulous reason to throw a Bright Star dvd viewing party. :mrgreen:
"And if thou wilt, remember,/And if thou wilt, forget." - Christina Rossetti
mevans

Postby Malia » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:57 pm

I'm sad to hear you weren't able to see the film in the theatre, Mevans. I have to admit, I was half-expecting not to find it anywhere outside of Seattle (a 4 hour drive over the mountains for me) but lo and behold, it came to our humble independent theatre here in Spokane and stayed for 2 months! I ended up watching it 3 times and I will definitely add it to my DVD collection when it is released.

One of my coworkers, who is a professor and short-story writer, absolutely Adored the film--he loved the subtlety of Campion's storytelling--every scene is a poem to be worked and unraveled. Every shot is a painting to be admired and analyzed. The film certainly appeals to the more artistic type person, I think, but I've seen both men and women enjoy it (my brother gave it an "A" and all he really knew about Keats before watching the movie was that I am crazy for Keats :wink: :lol: ).
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:01 pm

Alas, we did get it in the US but only in limited release and since I live in a culturally depraved area, it was only in limited release and would have involved me driving a long distance.

That’s a shame Mevans.

Either way it sounds like a fabulous reason to throw a Bright Star dvd viewing party. :D

A fabulous idea! Why not go further and incorporate it into w whole Keats day! Celebrate him the whole day ! :D

One of my coworkers, who is a professor and short-story writer, absolutely Adored the film--he loved the subtlety of Campion's storytelling--every scene is a poem to be worked and unraveled. Every shot is a painting to be admired and analyzed. The film certainly appeals to the more artistic type person, I think, but I've seen both men and women enjoy it (my brother gave it an "A" and all he really knew about Keats before watching the movie was that I am crazy for Keats ).

I liked your description of the film Malia! I can’t wait to get it on DVD!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Previous

Return to BRIGHT STAR