Paul Schneider interview

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Paul Schneider interview

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:39 pm

Seeing him without the beard I can see how like the real Charles Brown he looks. So why on earth did they give him a beard? Brown didn't have a beard anyway. He only had some Scottish ancestry and wouldn't have had a Scottish accent but an English one.But criticisms aside he was very good wasn't he?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny8G3GVs ... re=related
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Paul Schneider interview

Postby Sid13 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:04 pm

Though Brown is depicted as cleanshaven in the bust of him done some years after Keats's death (the only contemporary picture of him there is as far as I know), he did in fact have a beard at the time Keats knew him. Keats mentions in a letter written when he and Brown were at either Chichester or Bedhampton late January 1819, that a woman had talked Brown into shaving off his beard, as a part of some joke, and that Brown was wearing a woman's bonnet (too bad that didn't make it into Bright Star :lol: ).
Sid13

Re: Paul Schneider interview

Postby Raphael » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:45 pm

Sid13 wrote:Though Brown is depicted as cleanshaven in the bust of him done some years after Keats's death (the only contemporary picture of him there is as far as I know), he did in fact have a beard at the time Keats knew him. Keats mentions in a letter written when he and Brown were at either Chichester or Bedhampton late January 1819, that a woman had talked Brown into shaving off his beard, as a part of some joke, and that Brown was wearing a woman's bonnet (too bad that didn't make it into Bright Star :lol: ).

As my memory serves me it was his sideburns he shaved off- I will check the letters again. I laughed when I read about the bonnet- that must have been hilarious- yes I really wish that had been in Bright Star- we could have seen John falling about laughing. And the Immortal Dinner - when he fell about laughing there too! His humour is often overlooked- he was given as much to laughter as he was sadness.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to BRIGHT STAR