Letters to Keats and friends

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Malia, Saturn

Letters to Keats and friends

Postby Bren927 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:51 pm

Hello and happy new year!

I have several books of letters written by John Keats (as well as online access to many). I also own Fanny Brawne's letters to Fanny Keats.

Are there any other surviving letters TO John Keats, or written between his friends and acquaintances between 1815-1821? I have read references to "Isabella Jones' Letters to Taylor," for example, but have only found one.

Bren927

Re: Letters to Keats and friends

Postby Cathat906 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:17 pm

There are modest extracts from letters about Keats between other parties including Hessey to Taylor and from George Keats to Marianne Jefferies contained in Amy Lowells 1925 biography of Keats. Those two are on pages 597 and 599 respectively in Volume 1, Chapter 7, Horizons and Thunderheads. Both are referenced as being held in particular private collections at the time of publication, although that was very nearly a century ago, it might be possible to trace them. Lowells' is a very comprehensive biography, far more substantial than many recent ones, with significant appendices containing marginalia from books Keats owned, so there are likely to be more examples than the two it took me less than 5 minutes to find. I have a very fragile hard copy, but you can now access these for free via the wonderful resource Internet Archive.
Vol 1 https://archive.org/details/johnkeats0001lowe_s6v9
Vol 2 https://archive.org/details/johnkeatsvolumei009666mbp
Cathat906

Re: Letters to Keats and friends

Postby Bren927 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:32 am

CatHat,

Great resources...thanks so much! Have never had her biography come up in search, so it's much appreciated.

Happy new year!
Bren927

Return to Life and Letters