Dr. John Keate

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Dr. John Keate

Postby dks » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:24 am

John Keate (1773 - March 5, 1852) was an English schoolmaster.

He was born at Wells, Somerset, the son of Prebendary William Keate. He was educated at Eton and Kings College, Cambridge, where he had a brilliant career as a scholar; taking holy orders, he became, about 1797, an assistant master at Eton College. In 1809 he was elected headmaster. The discipline of the school was then in a most unsatisfactory condition, and Dr Keate (who took the degree of D.D. in 1810) took stern measures to improve it. His partiality for the birch became a by-word, but he succeeded in restoring order and strengthening the weakened authority of the masters. Beneath an outwardly rough manner the little man concealed a really kind heart, and when he retired in 1834, the boys, who admired his courage, presented him with a handsome testimonial. A couple of years before he had publicly flogged eighty boys on one day.

Keate was made a canon of Windsor in 1820. He died at Hartley Westpall, Hampshire, of which parish he had been rector since 1824.

:shock: I found this man whilst doing research for my thesis. Not only is the name striking, but he was apparently 5 feet tall and had dark red hair--was stocky in build and said to be "pugilistic" by his contemporaries and peers who attended Eton with him while they were young boys. :shock:

:lol: "...flogged eighty boys in one day..." :!:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Re: Dr. John Keate

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:10 am

dks wrote:
:lol: "...flogged eighty boys in one day..." :!:

Ah the good old days of corporal punishment...

Did you know that it was only abolished in the early 80s?

I remember being hit by a teacher in the second year of junior school.

Good find Denise - this man may very well be a several times removed relative. The Keats, or Keates or Keate family tree is a complex and baffiling one.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:41 pm

I wouldn't doubt it if that Keate is a relative of our Keats in some way or another. Keats and his immediate family were "separated" from both the Jenningses and the Keatses so who knows how many relatives they had and either didn't realize it or didn't care. It's a sad thing to think that Keats and his immediate family were a little island of family in the midst of a sea of relatives they never got to know. I'm biased in that I love my extended family and I'm one of those who believes "the bigger the better"--could be because, growing up, my immedate family didn't spend much time with extended family--primarily due to physical distance.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:15 pm

Yes, I thought that was rather intriguing...my research is taking me to some interesting places...I will certainly share along the way. :wink:

Corporal punishment...yes. I was "paddled" for being tardy one day in high school--it was a game day (football), so I had my cheerleader skirt on--I was paddled by a male assistant principal, no less--pervert--it was singularly creepy. :shock:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:45 pm

dks wrote:Yes, I thought that was rather intriguing...my research is taking me to some interesting places...I will certainly share along the way. :wink:

Corporal punishment...yes. I was "paddled" for being tardy one day in high school--it was a game day (football), so I had my cheerleader skirt on--I was paddled by a male assistant principal, no less--pervert--it was singularly creepy. :shock:

That guy sounds like he should be be twenty to life :shock:

Yes corporal punishment in itself is perverse and the perveted used it to gratify their needs.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Life and Letters