New books I found the other week - new to me anyhow!

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

New books I found the other week - new to me anyhow!

Postby Raphael » Sun May 23, 2010 7:34 pm

I had a look in a second hand book store and found these:

Robert Gittings- Selected Letters of Keats, 1982 (reprint) £1.50

John Keats An Anthology, English Poets series, 1989. £1.00- it's a pocket sized book and was worth getting for the cover alone. It is brown with the Severn minature embossed in gold on the front.

A Pocket Poet, Keats, 1985. £1.00. I got this for the sweet little illustrations in it done by Patricia Machin. She has written a little of the background on each poem to introduce it.

International Profiles, John Keats, Douglas Hill, 1968.£1.50 Quite a nice little biography, though some things not quite accurate, but mainly good.

Literature in Perspective, Keats. Fred Inglis, 1969 (reprint). £1.00. He goes into a brief discussion of John's life, letters, friends and the Romantic background before he anyalses some of the poems. It's not a big book, so he has only looked at the "main" poems.

I suppose you all have Gittings- have you any of the others I mention? I think I got a few bargains here!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: New books I found the other week - new to me anyhow!

Postby Ennis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:16 pm

Successful hunting, Raphael!!

I have the Gittings's biography of Keats, but I wasn't aware he had edited a compilation of his letters, as well. I have the Hyder Rollins edition. Your other purchases I am not familiar with. "A Pocket Poet, Keats" sounds like a nice little volume. I'm always on the lookout for Keats related "stuff" -- the older, the better. I wish I could afford a first run, first edition of Taylor and Hessey's 1820 printing of the "Lamia . . ." volume. I found one on-line for 35, 000 dollars . . . ! Yeah, right, on my school-teacher's salary! That book costs more than my house when I bought it (26) years ago!!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Re: New books I found the other week - new to me anyhow!

Postby Malia » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:11 pm

Gittings' edition of Keats' letters is excellent. I have a copy that is practically falling apart right now (need to replace it). It contains a lot of the misspellings and idiosyncratic punctuation from the actual letters, so this edition gives a great "feel" for Keats's writing.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Return to Life and Letters