You Favorite Quotes from Keats's Letters

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: You Favorite Quotes from Keats's Letters

Postby Ennis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:33 pm

keatsgrove wrote:And now I suddenly, strongly, want to know what his laugh sounded like.

Highly infectious, no doubt, especially if those boys/men were throwing out right-and-left those bawdy puns they were so fond of :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Oh, yes! to be a guest at those card-playing, cigar-smoking "all-male bonding parties". . . . that lasted until the wee hours of the morn. To be able to associate with Keats when he was at his healthiest, most gregarious, and most humorous -- not that I could EVER, EVER hold a candle to that intellect of his -- or that of all of his friends, especially, I think Woodhouse, Taylor, and possible Reynolds and Brown. Shoot, I'd be so intimidated to be in the company of such awesome . . . EVERYTHING that I'd sit like "a knot on a log" and just throw back the wine (ah! claret) and possibly sneak a sip or two or ... from the ol' laudanum bottle and ABSORB it all. If only . . . .

I often wish i could go back in time, be invisbile and sneak in to one of their boys' evenings and see John as you say "at his healthiest, most gregarious, and most humorous"- he must have had such charm and been fun to be around.

And now I suddenly, strongly, want to know what his laugh sounded like.
Highly infectious, no doubt, especially if those boys/men were throwing out right-and-left those bawdy puns they were so fond of :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

I am wondering a lot what his laugh sounded like too. I like to think it resembled Ben Whishaw's laugh in the scene after he and Fanny spar at their first meeting - that was one cute laugh!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:52 am

keatsgrove wrote:And now I suddenly, strongly, want to know what his laugh sounded like.

:D Me too! :lol:
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:50 pm

Especially if any of us was THE ONE to make him laugh! :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby keatsgrove » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:41 am

Especially if any of us was THE ONE to make him laugh!

Absolutely!
keatsgrove

Postby Raphael » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:42 pm

keatsgrove wrote:
Especially if any of us was THE ONE to make him laugh!

Absolutely!

Would be a treat to make him laugh. :D
I often wonder how often Miss Brawne made him laugh- it seems she was witty and she did like comedy....

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Pearse » Sun May 22, 2011 7:01 am

I am somewhat new to Keats but of what i have read so far-

"indeed I am almost astonished that any absent one should have that luxurious power over my senses which I feel. Even when I am not thinking of you I receive your influence and a tenderer nature steeling upon me. All my thoughts, my unhappiest days and nights have I find not at all cured me of my love of Beauty, but made it so intense that I am miserable that you are not with me"

This rocks me to my core every time i read it, i thank Dan Simmons for after reading his Hyperion omnibus i sought out these works and will never look back
Pearse

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon May 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Wow - another great visceral quote from our dear friend. I have never read this one - so thank you for the quote.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Previous

Return to Life and Letters