George Keats

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

George Keats

Postby Cybele » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:47 pm

I've scanned and put up on line a short biographical sketch of George Keats by James Freeman Clarke. Originally printed within the pages of the Transcendentalist magazine, "The Dial," it was reprinted in Clarke's "Memorial and Biographical Sketches," published in 1878.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?u ... feat=email

(I have my fingers crossed that this link works. -- And thank you, Raphael, for the idea and advice!)
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Re: George Keats

Postby Saturn » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:11 pm

It works fine Cybele! You just need to click 'I accept'.

Thanks, I shall peruse this later.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:52 pm

Thank you so much Cybele! I have just spent the last half hour reading it- it is wonderful. I really love this bit:

George Keats not only loved his brother John, but reverenced his genius and enjoyed his poetry, believing him to belong to the front rank of English bards. A genuine and discriminating appreciation of his brother’s poetry, from anyone, gave him great pleasure.

George is not always seen in a good light by some of the biographers- some have stated or implied that when George came back to get some money that he and John were no longer close, which is obviously wrong. George, like John's friends and Fanny Brawne and her family must have been devastated when he heard that John had passed away in Italy. The below says it all:

The love for his brother, which continued through his life to be among the deepest affections of his soul, was a pledge of their reunion again in another world.

That moved me deeply- I confess to feeling a little tearful.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:22 am

George does seem to have been devoted to his brother's memory. He was devastated by both John's death and the unkind things that were said about him. However, IMO, he did make a serious error in asking John for money after the Audubon debacle. I'd have to look it up to be certain, but I don't think John wrote any more letters to George after he left for America the second time. I do believe the money incident put a very great strain on their relationship. I also believe that they would have reconciled had John lived.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Cybele wrote:George does seem to have been devoted to his brother's memory. He was devastated by both John's death and the unkind things that were said about him. However, IMO, he did make a serious error in asking John for money after the Audubon debacle. I'd have to look it up to be certain, but I don't think John wrote any more letters to George after he left for America the second time. I do believe the money incident put a very great strain on their relationship. I also believe that they would have reconciled had John lived.

Yes- he took more than his fair share of money twice to America leaving John almost destitute (without the kindness of his friends where would he have been?) - but I think John didn't tell him how broke he was so George seemed to think John had money. Also, the fact that John had told him a few times he wasn't going to get married didn't help- George thought his brother needed less than him- in my opinion John should have told him about his engagement to Fanny. I cannot understand why he didn't tell him.I wonder if George ever found out about Fanny after John had passed away?
I don't think John did write any more letters to George after that, but I think it was because he had his big haemorrhage after that and became too ill.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:23 pm

John had mentioned to George that he did not want to marry, and I do not believe that he told George about Fanny. I would like to find out if George ever found out about her. -- That would have been possible,through the Dilkes or other mutual friends.

Fanny Keats was not happy with George, either, and declined his invitations for her to visit him in Kentucky.

George reported that John was very much changed, in his mood and his looks, when he made his return visit to London. I have suspected that for quite some time before his first hemorrhage John knew he had a serious health problem -- something far more serious than stubborn tonsillitis.
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:58 pm

John had mentioned to George that he did not want to marry, and I do not believe that he told George about Fanny. I would like to find out if George ever found out about her. -- That would have been possible,through the Dilkes or other mutual friends.

Well, Fanny wrote to Miss Keats that George "has never liked me"- so they at least met. Maybe he suspected there was an attachment between his brother and her but didn't know how deep the attachment was.

Fanny Keats was not happy with George, either, and declined his invitations for her to visit him in Kentucky.

I didn't know that- which source did you learn this from?

George reported that John was very much changed, in his mood and his looks, when he made his return visit to London.

I would have thought then he could see his brother wasn't well ( and broke and unhappy))and why didn't he press him to find out what the matter was?

I have suspected that for quite some time before his first hemorrhage John knew he had a serious health problem -- something far more serious than stubborn tonsillitis.

Well- the fact he had stubborn tonsilitis shows his immune system was weak- if he hadn't been exposed to the TB germs he might have lived longer but always had this throat problem.Poor John- he was very strong and healthy in his earlier years.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:19 am

I didn't know that- which source did you learn this from?
[/quote]

It was a letter from George to Fanny K. inviting her to visit his family in Louisville. The letter was printed in either "Letters of the Keats Circle" or its sequel, "More Letters. . ." He described his home, that they were pleasantly close to the river, that there was much to do in this town.

(I laughed when he described the "storches" -- think that's how he spelled "storks." :lol: -- that nested near the river. I don't think wood storks were in the Ohio Valley even back then, and I'm pretty sure he was talking about Great Blue Herons -- a bit taller than wood storks but equally handsome. Methinks he had not spent enough time hanging with Mr. Audubon. :wink: )
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:18 pm

It was a letter from George to Fanny K. inviting her to visit his family in Louisville. The letter was printed in either "Letters of the Keats Circle" or its sequel, "More Letters. . ." He described his home, that they were pleasantly close to the river, that there was much to do in this town.

So he mentioned she declined to visit him then? Is it not possible it was the expense of ther journey rather than not wanting to see him?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Life and Letters