Fanny Brawne biography

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Fanny Brawne biography

Postby Shaker » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:50 pm

Hi all - just signed up, thoroughly delighted to see that the forum is still active (just about!).

Like many I'm particularly interested in the relationship between Keats and Fanny Brawne, especially as I'm currently writing quite a long piece about their romance. I dare say most of us have heard of the 1952 biography of Fanny by Joanna Richardson - has any here ever read it? I'm having the devil's own job of tracking it down: I think it may end up with a visit to the British Library. It seems to be exceptionally rare these days. Anyway, while researching the other day I stumbled across a book about their love affair that I'd never even heard of before, which is quite a rarity with me: Bright Star by Joan Rees. Not, as you would be forgiven for thinking, anything to do with Jane Campion's film but was first published in 1968. This was quite new to me - I ordered it, and I'm looking forward to seeing it very soon :D
Shaker

Re: Fanny Brawne biography

Postby Ennis » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:14 pm

I bought my Richardson biography of Fanny Brawne on-line quite a few years ago. I hope you're successful in locating a copy. Rees's Bright Star is much like Campion's movie in that it traces the evolution of the Keats-Brawne relationship. I've often wondered if Campion had read (Rees's) Bright Star before (or during) her writing of the film's screenplay. I believe Rees did a good job imagining possible dialogue bewteen the major characters, and I also think she understood what their personalities were like and did a fine job incorporating that into her narrative. I won't divulge how I came to own Bright Star. . .
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:52 am

Welcome Shaker! I have a copy of the Rees novel- it is quite good, but I think Fanny is portrayed a little more innocent and weepy than she actually was- Passion by Jude Morgan has portrayed her more accurately.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:53 pm

Shaker,

I'd have to agree with Raphael's assessment of the portrayal of Fanny in Jude Morgan's Passion. The problem with Passion is that it also deals with the relationships/liasons of Byron and Shelley and their women, so if you wanted to only read the parts that deal with the Keats-Brawne relationship, you'll have to skim. Although the novel is an interesting read, it is long. Again, good luck.
I'm sure I can speak for all of the Keatsians who post on this site that we look forward to learning about your research and how you are coming along with it. Keep us posted!!. We all love Keats and are always eager to meet others who do, as well. Any new information or and interpretations about Our Poet are always welcome here.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 am

Another Bright Star book? 1968? Good find.

I will have to track it down as well as the 1952 Richardson book on Fanny, Half the fun is researching where to get these. Hope they're not too expensive.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:43 pm

Are you doing a thesis Shaker?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Shaker » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Not a thesis - I'm currently writing a book about famous literary love letters. Our John is the first half, Franz Kafka the second. It might sound an unlikely pairing, but when you scratch the surface, the similarities start piling up ...

Does anybody know if Joanna Richardson's biography of Fanny Brawne is available online? I'm desperately trying to track this book down. I thought I'd struck gold when I discovered that it's supposed to be viewable here http://www.worid-of-books.com/?id=Y9ALAQAAIAAJ but the file seems to be corrupted and isn't able to be opened :( Does anybody know if it's available elsewhere on the Web? Or even if anybody in the UK would be willing to point me in the direction of a copy.
Shaker

Postby Raphael » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:42 am

Not a thesis - I'm currently writing a book about famous literary love letters. Our John is the first half, Franz Kafka the second. It might sound an unlikely pairing, but when you scratch the surface, the similarities start piling up ...

Sounds good!

Does anybody know if Joanna Richardson's biography of Fanny Brawne is available online? I'm desperately trying to track this book down. I thought I'd struck gold when I discovered that it's supposed to be viewable here http://www.worid-of-books.com/?id=Y9ALAQAAIAAJ but the file seems to be corrupted and isn't able to be opened :( Does anybody know if it's available elsewhere on the Web? Or even if anybody in the UK would be willing to point me in the direction of a copy

Have you tried Amazon? I haven't got a copy myself yet, but would look there first.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Shaker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:30 am

Yes, Amazon.co.uk was the first place I looked, but I'm afraid £115 is out of the reach of my pocket by a very long way indeed (especially for a book of 190 pages). And that's the cheapest one available - one other is going for a smidgin over £400 :(
Shaker

Postby Raphael » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:48 pm

Shaker wrote:Yes, Amazon.co.uk was the first place I looked, but I'm afraid £115 is out of the reach of my pocket by a very long way indeed (especially for a book of 190 pages). And that's the cheapest one available - one other is going for a smidgin over £400 :(

My goodness!!!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Shaker,

Go on-line and search for Gale (Gail?) Flament master's thesis on Fanny Brawne. You may be able to use her as a source, if you can find a way to contact her for permission.
Ennis
Calidore

Return to Life and Letters