Shocking...

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Shocking...

Postby Raphael » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:37 pm

*However* (and this will surely make Raphael bristle!) the art history prof complained that D.G. Rossetti was a better poet than a painter and the English lit. prof. thought he was being extremely witty by declaring that Rossetti was a better painter than poet.

No, it doesn't make me bristle- Dante Gabriel's poems are pretty good- i prfer his art to his poems though. However, our John's poems are far far better.
As for his influence on the Victorians- I have read Oscar Wilde highly rated our Junkets. i like Oscar's poems- they are very good.

Just the same, the discussion -- however negative -- opened my eyes to the way the arts influence each other. This was something I hadn't seriously considered before.

Quite so- the art history lecturer at the gallery I volunteered in last year played us music from the c.18th and talked about how the art styles eg rococco, baroque etc could be heared in the music of the time. It is her I have to thank for introducing me to the music of Frederic Chopin- a real revelation for me. I love the Romantic peroid of classical music.

Broken Lyre- your daughter has very good taste! :D
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:43 am

Thanks Raphael. So happy I have one in my family that really appreciates our dear friend, Mr. Keats, five feet tall.
I wish you and all on this site a happy and fruitful New Year!
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:58 am

Happy New Year to you and yours and all on here too.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Previous

Return to Life and Letters