23rd February . . .

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

23rd February . . .

Postby Ennis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:42 am

23rd February 1821
Rome, Italy

"Don't breathe on me -- it comes like Ice. I am dying, thank God the time is come."
John Keats to Joseph Severn
23rd February 1821

"It is all over. . . . I can't write more."
Charles Brown to William Haslam
18th March 1821

"I know my Keats is happy, happier a thousand times than he could have been here. . .you can never know how much he has suffered. So much that I do believe, were it in my power I would not bring him back. All that grieves me now is that I was not with him, and so near it as I was. Some day my dear girl I will tell you the reason and give you additional cause to hate those who should have been his friends, and yet it was a great deal through his kindness for me for he foresaw what would happen, he at least was never deceived about his complaint, though the Doctors were ignorant and unfeeling enough to send him to that wretched country to die, for it is now known that his recovery was impossible before he left us, and he might have died here with so many friends to soothe him and me me with him. . . . In that letter he mentions that he had given directions how he would be buried, the purse you sent him and your last letter. . . with some hair, I believe of mine, he desired to be placed in his coffin. The truth is I cannot very well go on at present with this. . . ."
Fanny Brawne to Fanny Keats
27th March 1821

"All his friends have forgotten him, they have got over the first shock, and that with them is all. They think I have done the same, . . . but I can tell you, . . . that I have not got over it and never shall -- It's better for me that I should not forget him . . . ."
Fanny Brawne to Fanny Keats
23rd May 1821

"Tell him -- tell that great poet and noble-hearted man that we shall all bear his memory in the most precious part of our hearts, and that the world shall bow their heads to it as our loves do. Tell him that we shall never cease to remember and love him, and that, Christian or Infidel, the most skeptical of us has faith enough in the high things that nature puts into our heads, to think that all who are of one accord in mind and heart are journeying to one and the same place and shall meet somehow or other again, face to face, mutually conscious, mutually delighted. Tell him he is only before us on the road, as he was in everything else, and add, that we shall never forget that he was so, and that we are coming after him."
Leigh Hunt to Joseph Severn
08th March 1821
(unaware Keats has died)

"My chest of books divide among my friends."
from Keats's will
August - September 1820
(iambic pentameter -- ever The Poet . . .)

"I can scarcely bid you good bye even in a letter. I always made an awkward bow."
John Keats to Charles Brown
30th November 1820

"The sacrifice is done."
John Keats
from The Fall of Hyperion
verse 241

FINIS
Last edited by Ennis on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Re: 23rd February . . .

Postby marwood » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Brightest blessings to dear John Keats. x
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:29 pm

I was just about to post remember him this night...I have got a special candle that changes colour to light for him tonight. I will light it about 10.30 pm.He is the Brightest Star in heaven.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:30 pm

I tweeted my RIP to our dear fellow this morning. If only he knew his name was not writ in water, but seared in flame!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:42 pm

Malia! So good to hear from you. (I was gone for quite a while, so it may be my fault! Nice to read your thoughts).

190 years ago today...... I will pensively reflect on this as it nears 11:00 pm eastern standard time (US). Can't help it folks. He's my friend.
And i have some special Claret for the occasion. Maybe tonight my wife and kids will actually join me! (One can always hope).

"From silken Samarcand to ceder'd Lebanon"

ahhh, love the taste and sound of that.

Best wishes to you all on the site.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby AsphodelElysium » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:00 am

Malia wrote:I tweeted my RIP to our dear fellow this morning. If only he knew his name was not writ in water, but seared in flame!

And burned on our very souls. My thoughts will also be with Keats tonight. I'm glad others are also raising a glass.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:57 am

I tweeted my RIP to our dear fellow this morning. If only he knew his name was not writ in water, but seared in flame!

And burned on our very souls. My thoughts will also be with Keats tonight. I'm glad others are also raising a glass.

190 years ago today...... I will pensively reflect on this as it nears 11:00 pm eastern standard time (US). Can't help it folks. He's my friend.
And i have some special Claret for the occasion.

So lovely that you are all thinking of him and have toasted to him. The candle I lit in front of his portrait is still going strong- it changes from red to green to blue to magenta, violet. I have put out a glass of red grape juice too- not got any claret.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm

I actually have a quality bottle of claret in my possession, but I didn't want to open it last night as I know I'd never be able to drink the whole thing before the wine went bad. I'll find a good time in future when I can toast Keats with it in the company of friends :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:47 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:Malia! So good to hear from you. (I was gone for quite a while, so it may be my fault! Nice to read your thoughts).

And i have some special Claret for the occasion. Maybe tonight my wife and kids will actually join me! (One can always hope).

So good to read from you, too, BrokenLyre! I admit, I've been gone a while, myself. It feels so good to check in with you dear folk again :)

BrokenLyre wrote: "From silken Samarcand to ceder'd Lebanon"

Oh yes, that is excellent. Keats is the master of alliteration and inter-rhyme. Reading his works aloud is a truly sensual experience!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby jesleeall » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Wonderful post, Ennis!
jesleeall

Postby Ennis » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:38 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:Malia! So good to hear from you. (I was gone for quite a while, so it may be my fault! Nice to read your thoughts).

"From silken Samarcand to ceder'd Lebanon"

Best wishes to you all on the site.

"He's my friend." How eloquently put, Brokenlyre. I believe he is the friend of us all, this 21st century version of the "Keats Circle."

"Bridget of the Mantle, encompass us.
Lady of the Lambs, protect us.
Keeper of the Flame, kindle us.
Beneath your Mantle, gather us,
And restore us to memory."

May the great Mother Goddess hold him closest to her heart and protect him.

Blessed be, everyone.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:40 am

I think he would have been so pleased if he had known back in the day that he would be so loved and admired for his poetry in another century and inspiring people.
Nice verse Ennis. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:04 am

Yes, thanks Ennis.

I loved your post on the passages above. Hearing Fanny Brawnes's voice to Fanny Keats along with the others all together is quite remarkable. And yes, I agree with you about having our own "Keats Circle" in the 21st Century. That's partly why I joined.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to Life and Letters