Letters from Charles Brown to Joseph Severn online

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Letters from Charles Brown to Joseph Severn online

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:49 pm

These are so interesting, espceially what Charles says about Fanny Brawne- what courage she had- how did she bear it? They must have been so tough back then.

http://www.rc.umd.edu/editions/brownsev ... h1821.html
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Letters from Charles Brown to Joseph Severn online

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:45 am

Thanks for the link Raphael. I would love to check this letter - to see if I have it in my books. Unfortunately, I don't have some key letters.. boo ...but I will check on this one.

I would love it if research turned up newly discovered letters from Keats to his friends (or vice versa). Awesome thought.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:36 pm

I wish a letter Fanny B wrote to John would turn up- but we know that is not going to happen...
I love her letters to Miss K- I may well re read them tonight after coming home from my evening shift. haven't looked at them for awhile.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:25 am

Speaking of letters...I ran across a letter from John Hamilton Reynolds to John Keats written on Oct 14, 1818.

Reynolds writes to encourage Keats in his labors on Endymion. Speaking of his friendship with Keats he writes:
"There is no one I am more interested in - and there is no one that I have more pleasure in communicating my own happiness to."

Just thought that was lovely and well said. Made me smile with understanding.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Cybele » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:11 am

Thank you, Raphael.
I think I may have read these ages ago, but it's nice to revisit them and save them on my 'puter.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Return to Life and Letters