Keats Fiction

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats Fiction

Postby Malia » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:13 pm

Well, there I was this morning, sitting in a learning lab on the Gonzaga campus with 20 other graduate students when, in an attempt to practice using the on-line research tools, I typed in "Keats" the search column and came across a book of *fiction* all about Keats's relationship with Fanny Brawne. It's called "Bright Star" and was written by a British author named Joan Rees back in 1968. This book was in the Gonzaga library and of course, my curiosity to see it reached record heights. Right after our learning lab, I rushed upstairs to the fiction section and bird-dogged that book! :lol: I figured it might be a corny novel, but who cares? It's about Keats and Fanny Brawne! I've read a few pages so far and it is as corny as I expected it to be--but it is based on historical fact, so that's something. The author consulted several prominent Keats biographies to research the subject and she really has infused a lot of detail (even down to the name of the Brawne's dog) into the novel.

I have a feeling this is the kind of novel dks would especially love to read :) (And I say that with all sincerity, dks.) I totally thought of you when I read these words describing Fanny's first meeting with Keats:

"She was favourably impressed, but totally unprepared for the extraordinary flurry of emotions which assailed her when, with her hand lightly held for a moment in his, he looked full into her eyes. Under his finely arched brows, his own expressively glowing, large, hazel eyes were undoubtedly moving and beautiful. But it was not just this. She had gazed into handsome eyes before. It was a bewildering and infinite moment, compounded all at once in a kind of recognition, a wild joy, and a warning sadness. Its impact left her shaken and breathless and, to mask her feelings, Fanny was immediately prompted to say something social, trivial, and silly."

I'm happy to have this book to turn to for some fun light reading after all the Leadership books I've been diving into lately for class. :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:05 pm

Even if that is cheesy nonsense I'm going to go looking for it tomorrow Malia in every book store I know...

What have you done? :lol:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:10 pm

For those of you able to order stuff online you can get a copy here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bright-Star-Joa ... F8&s=books

and see what other books she wrote.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/sea ... oan%20Rees

A biography of Jane Austen - right up your street Malia I think :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:44 am

Yes, of course I'll look for it, as well, Miss Malia...but reading those sentiments will only make me jealous... :x :shock: :oops: :lol:

...and I'm not the jealous type...something that has bewildered my lovers over time, I think...

...but when it comes to him...it's another story--I get that way...what can I say? Love is ageless, is it not?

Or perhaps I just need some little pills, a chaise lounge, and a shrink... :wink: :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:01 pm

Believe me you do NOT want a shrink :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:24 pm

Saturn wrote:Believe me you do NOT want a shrink :?

I've had a couple of good ones, Saturn...psychologists, that is. I've never seen a psychiatrist. The counselors I've seen have been quite good, though. The trick was, for me anyway, to not go on seeing them for years or anything at a time...I went for a certian reason and then stopped for a while...it helped me get perspective and realize they can't solve my problems anyway--it's me who has to do it.

I wasn't trying to be insidious...sorry, there, good man. :oops:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:52 am

I was only joking Denise and I know you were - damn it's so easy to be misunderstood with just words.

And yes there's a BIG difference between psychologists and psychiatrists but that's a discussion for another time and another place.

Finis.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cri » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:56 pm

Hi!
I WANT that book!!!
thanks for the information, Miss Malia, I'll try my very best to obtain a copy of "Bright Star"...even if I'm not sure to be able to find it here in Italy...I'll try on Amazon...
And Dks, you're not the only one to be jealous about our friend Mr.K.... :D
I always feel uncomfortable when I read about his relationship with miss Brawne, I know I'm not right thinking it, but I cannot help hearing a silly laugh associated with her name...and my poor English cannot describe better my feelings... :x !!!
Anyway, about fiction on J., I've read "Abba Abba" by Burgess, it's definitely worth a reading. I could see the characters as in a movie, great...and moving.
Cri
...ti verrò a cercare nelle tue stanze vuote....aspettiamo un altro viaggio, un destino, un'eternità; e dimmi come posso fare per raggiungerti adesso...
Cri

Return to Life and Letters