Happy Birthday, Keats!!

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Happy Birthday, Keats!!

Postby Ennis » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:31 am

31st October 1795/ 2011,

Happy Birthday, Keats!!

Even though its been 216 years ago, he still seems to be alive and all around, all the time. . . . -- especially when reading him.

This is the third year I have missed the wreath-laying ceremony held in Keats's honour at Westminister Abbey. I have a copy of the transcript from the first service (thanks to computer, as much as I hate admit that!); I suppose it's pretty much the samething . . . . , but I would still like to be there.

I wish I lived in London. Those of you who do are very fortunate.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Re: Happy Birthday, Keats!!

Postby Cath » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:56 pm

Yes, Happy Birthday Mr Keats! I didn't realise they have a wreath-laying ceremony held in Keats's honour at Westminister Abbey, that's great..."a wreath of autumn leaves and berries" even!

http://www.keatshouse.cityoflondon.gov.uk/223-727/Wreath-Laying-at-Westminster-Abbey.html
Cath
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:43 pm

Happy Birthday to our dear poet! I shall be setting up my Samhain altar later and he will be included on this. I am going to bake two little organic pumpkins for dinner later, will leave some as a remembrance on a little plate. Though I suppose only George was the only Keats brother who ever tasted them- I don't think they imported pumpkins to England back then. They grow ok here though!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:19 pm

They taste, and smell absolutely foul though!

Anyway Happy Birthday to Keats!
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:31 pm

Saturn wrote:They taste, and smell absolutely foul though!

Anyway Happy Birthday to Keats!

Ooooooooooh no they don't- maybe if you hollow them out and put a candle in they will get whiffy the next day but roasting them in the oven they are quite delicious. I have eaten them now. They were too tough to cut- I had planned to cut the tops off and hollow the flesh out and saute it with onions, spices and tomatoes and put the mix in them and bake in the oven, but they were too tough for any knife so I roasted them first then cut the tops off. So many seeds in them so wasn't much flesh as they were very little and one seemed a bit burnt inside so I didn't offer one for Samhain- only one was suitable to stuff( so a piece of the cake I baked is on my Samhain altar).The remaining one stuffed with its sauted flesh with spiced onions and tomatoes was delicious.
There is a bit of an art in cooking pumpkins- still learning it LOL. :lol:
Enjoy the pumpkin!

http://www.vegbox-recipes.co.uk/ingredients/pumpkin.php

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:28 am

I had planned to celebrate The Birthday tonight with a nice glass of red wine. (I was hoping someone on this forum would like to join me. :) ) Instead, here we are discussing pumpkin recipes. The seeds are delicious brined and toasted. (Use as a snack or sprinkle them on a salad.) Pumpkin soup is one of the family's favorites:

Saute one diced largish onion, two minced cloves of garlic, and 2 generous teaspoons of fresh grated ginger for a couple of minutes. Stir in 3 cups vegetable broth, a generous grind of pepper and 32 ounces (by weight) of pureed pumpkin. Simmer for about a half an hour and serve. (If you're not vegan, and are in the mood for something luxurious, float a circle of goat cheese on the top.)
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:01 pm

Awesome read folks. Thanks for the link too. Yes, a happy birthday indeed...but I must confess...I forgot (!) due to being swamped with other obligations....
Dear Keats forgive me! Though "I oft have honour'd thee, Great shadow, hide Thy face; I sin against thy native skies."
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:26 pm

The pumpkin soup recipe sounds rather tempting Cybele. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:04 am

Raphael wrote:The pumpkin soup recipe sounds rather tempting Cybele. :D

Why don't we start a thread about pumpkins . . . . I'm sure Keats would appreciate it, if he were aware of what goes on in his former life (so to speak). His grandfather, according to Abbey, was somewhat of a gourmand, and we all know Keats had a keen appreciation for food in all its aspects.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Ennis wrote:
Raphael wrote:The pumpkin soup recipe sounds rather tempting Cybele. :D

Why don't we start a thread about pumpkins . . . . I'm sure Keats would appreciate it, if he were aware of what goes on in his former life (so to speak). His grandfather, according to Abbey, was somewhat of a gourmand, and we all know Keats had a keen appreciation for food in all its aspects.

LOL! I have a suspicion despite not being a big fellow our poet had a big appetite! He did get invited to a lot of dinners didn't he.... :lol:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Life and Letters