Best collection of Letters by Keats

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Best collection of Letters by Keats

Postby Aquarius » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:36 am

Hi everyone. I was wondering what you all think of the collection of letters edited by Maurice Buxton Forman. I'm only asking because I found a used copy online of it, and wanted to know your opinion before purchasing it. The Forman edition is almost 600 pages, and seems really comprehensive, but other than that, I'm not sure how good it is. I also know that it retains Keat's spelling, etc, so is like the Gittings version.
It appears to me that almost any man may like the spider spin from his own inwards his own airy citadel.
Aquarius

Postby Saturn » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:49 am

That edition is pretty much the best complete volume [apart form the few trifling letters that have surfaced in the last 50 years] of the letters. Gittings' selected edition was based on Forman's edition. I say get it, get it now. I foolishly didn't buy a copy of it when I saw it in a second-hand bookshop years ago and have been ruing it ever since. :x
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:17 pm

I've never even seen an edition of Buxton Forman--that would be a good addition to a Keats library. I'm with Saturn on this one; buy it! :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Aquarius » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:35 pm

Goody! I'm always a little cautious when buying things online, as I have had experience of impulsively buying something and then being disappointed when it comes in the mail. I did find online on google books the Forman edtion, newly revised. It doesn't have the complete preview, but 90% of the book can be viewed here with illustrations:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=ZDUnA2qR7FwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Maurice+Buxton+Forman+john+keats+letters&lr=&source=gbs_similarbooks_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q=&f=false
It appears to me that almost any man may like the spider spin from his own inwards his own airy citadel.
Aquarius

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:09 pm

I agree with my forum friends here. Forman was the first scholar to gather all the poems and writings of Keats and put them into a 4 volume set. I just bought the 4 volume set off ebay below, called,

The Poetical Works and Other Writings of John Keats
- H. Buxton Forman ed., Reeves & Turner, London, 2nd edition, 1889. (4 Volumes)

So anything by Forman is fun reading. Get it - especially if the price is affordable. His first edition was 1883 and is now very expensive. So I was glad to get the 2nd edition of 1889, especially since the condition is utterly remarkable. My advice, pick one up if you can afford it.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Previous

Return to Life and Letters