HAPPY BIRTHDAY

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Postby dks » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:28 pm

A happy birthday (although he wasn't much into celebrating it) to the poet who showed me that words can indeed permeate the very soul.

Forgive my being AWOL mostly now, beloved forum-ites...many of you I have yet to meet...many of you who are new and adding insightful, fresh info to keep this sanctuary just that.

I hope to write another poem soon and post...the well is under heavy construction these days! :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Postby Cath » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:42 pm

Indeed, Happy 217th Birthday Mr. Keats! And a happy Halloween to everyone else :mrgreen: .
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Ravenwing » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:16 pm

Adieu.
Last edited by Ravenwing on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ravenwing

Postby Ravenwing » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:01 pm

Adieu.
Last edited by Ravenwing on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenwing

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:54 pm

A very Happy Birthday to Mr. John Keats for blessing us with profound thoughts and for touching the wide spectrum of all our emotions. I especially thank John for bringing me home to myself. Happy Keats Day to all on the Forum.

"Modern readers do not need to be told to admire John Keats. Whether they know it or not, he has already entered into their dreams, he is a portion of their hopes, he lives in their desires." - Stanley Kunitz
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:30 pm

Happy posthumous Birthday Junkets.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cath » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:28 pm

"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:49 pm

Saturn wrote:Happy posthumous Birthday Junkets.

Hope Junkets has had some plum cake up there! :D
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cath » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:35 pm

Happy 218th birthday, Mr Keats! And, of course, Happy Keats Day to all on the Forum!

There are two events in London today to celebrate:

Thursday 31 October, 11am
Keats Memorial Wreath Laying at Westminster Abbey
A service to commemorate Keats's life and work on the anniversary of his birth. Jo Shapcott will lay a wreath of autumn leaves and berries at his memorial plaque. Our Poet in Residence Jo Shapcott will lay the wreath. Please note there is an entry charge for the Abbey.
Booking essential. Places are limited. To book please telephone Keats House on 020 7332 3868.

Thursday 31 October, 7 - 8pm
John Keats: A Birthday Celebration
Join us for Keats and cake on the anniversary of on John Keats's birth. We will be celebrating Keats's life and work, plus there will be a talk by Nicholas Roe exploring Keats's attitudes to birthdays and birthplaces, plus ways his writing may forshadow aspects of improvisation in Jazz music.
FREE, but booking essential. To book, visit eventbrite.co.uk

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/attractions-around-london/keats-house/Pages/What%27s-on.aspx

How are you all marking the day?
Cath
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:03 pm

Nice events- would have gone if lived down there. I celebrate Samhain, so he will get a candlde lit for him tonight.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:29 pm

A very big happy birthday to our dear Friend today. I will celebrate tonight with quoting and reading some Keats poems with my family. My daughter and I will recite "To Autumn" by quoting alternative lines to each other. (A happy tradition for us). And we'll have a glass of wine of course.

I sure wish I could be in England today to be part of the ceremonies. Thanks Cath for letting us know.

Thinking of you all as well and hoping your day is a happy one.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Ennis » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:26 pm

Happy Birthday, Keats! I hope you're happy, wherever you are.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:34 pm

Thinking of my friend all day - blessings
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby HisLaurel » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:23 pm

Happy Birthday John Keats!
From His Laurel Crown :D
A Laurel Crown For Junkets
HisLaurel

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:52 pm

Thank you DKS, Saturn and others for posting. I too have been AWOL for the past year I think. I started my own nonprofit charity and the work has absolutely buried me. No excuses really, just not paying attention. I miss reading these posts - and will try to get back on.

Very happy birthday to our dear friend John Keats! I never imagined I would enjoy someone from history as much as I do Mr. Keats. Yes, DKS, his words permeate my soul too, though few people understand that.

I MAY be going to Keats House, Hampstead Heath, next June! I never thought I could get there from Buffalo, New York....but looking into it. If I do, I will let you all know... Maybe I can hook up with one of you at Keats House. I'll be happy to pay your entrance fee...

- Miss you all.
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to Life and Letters