New Book about Keats

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

New Book about Keats

Postby ColSilver » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 am

Hello Keats Forum,

I am keen to share my love of Keats and his life and work with you. I believe that the painter Benjamin Robert Haydon had a much greater influence on Keats than has hitherto been realised. I have written a Kindle book about Keats and Haydon which I hope you will find of some interest - it's called "John Keats and Benjamin Robert Haydon - The pursuit of Beauty and Truth" and a link to it can be found on my Twitter account here: https://twitter.com/ColSilverUK. If that doesn't work for any reason, then just go to Amazon and search for "Colin Silver, John Keats" and that should get you there.

I'm not sure how this forum works yet, so for now I will post this message and hope I get some interest / response.

Kind regards to everyone,

Colin Silver.
ColSilver

Re: New Book about Keats

Postby Cybele » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:54 pm

I've downloaded the book to my Kindle.

Forum Folks, I know a couple of people have posted hoaxes, etc. on the forum in the past, but this seems to be a real deal. The Kindle book is inexpensive ($4.44 US) and if you're an Amazon Prime subscriber, you can borrow the book for free for the month. I've skimmed a few of the pages and it looks to be well-written. I know Haydon's work has not aged well -- especially when compared to some of his contemporaries -- like West and David -- who did great, huge, ambitious paintings. But, speaking as an obsessive Keats fan who twice journeyed (once with two of the world's most recalcitrant teenagers in tow!) to Cincinnati to see Haydon's "Christ's Entry into Jerusalem," I think this book might be worth a look.

BTW, if you don't have a Kindle, you can still download the book and read it on an iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, etc. You just need to have the Amazon Kindle app installed.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Cybele » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:24 am

A few weeks back, I finished ColSilver's book, "John Keats and Benjamin Robert Haydon - The Pursuit of Beauty and Truth." I originally borrowed it from the Amazon Prime Kindle lending library, and liked it well enough to buy it. I now have it permanently on my Kindle.

The first part of the book adds nothing new to the information on the early life of the poet, but that's not the point of the book. Before this book, I had considered the influences of several things upon Keats's poetry, but had really overlooked someone who was so obvious an influence as Haydon was. I went back and re-read some of the early Keats letters, since I had forgotten how excited the poet was to have met the painter.

While I enjoyed "The Immortal Dinner," the scope of this book is much broader and absolutely worth a look.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:51 am

Buying more Keats books is getting expensive. Oh well, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. i just need more time to read...still trying to read Denise Gigante's "Keats Brothers"....
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to Life and Letters