Newly revealed portrait and picture of Charles Brown

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Newly revealed portrait and picture of Charles Brown

Postby Malia » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:17 am

Well, okay, as the article I'm linking to was written in 2012 this may be old news to some of you, but it is *new* news to me. Forever it seemed there was only one likeness of Charles Brown--the bust we've all, I'm sure, seen countless times in biographies of Keats (and some of us have seen at Keats House). As I was internet surfing today, I found an article in the Keats-Shelley Review detailing the provenance of a self-portrait Brown did of himself not too many years before he met Keats. Also contained in this interesting article is a daguerreotype of Brown in later years and a portrait that may be of Tom Keats.

In order to view the document, you need to open one of the files (the pdf or html)--in either case, they are free to view.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/m ... 1/art00006
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Re: Newly revealed portrait and picture of Charles Brown

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:20 am

Very interesting- thank you Malia. The fellow in the blue coat looks like Tom Keats to me from looking at the Severn drawing. Sweet faced young man! As for the one in the dark coat- looks nothing like John Keats!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Life and Letters