Death of John

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Death of John

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:22 am

I am just sitting here tonight (Saturday 22nd February 11:15 PM) and thinking about 1821, Rome specifically.
That lonely, sacred place near the Spanish Steps and Bernini's Broken Boat. I remember you, my friend, to all my friends.
You mean so much to me.

I came upon this Poem today - by "Erica Jong". Reflections upon John's death. Wanted to share it with you.

http://poetry.rapgenius.com/Erica-jong- ... ated#lyric

Hope you can click on the Link. If you cannot open it, look for it on Google by typing: "Poetry Genius - Erica Jong for Howard Moss"
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Re: Death of John

Postby Ennis » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:05 pm

"The sacrifice is done."
from The Fall of Hyperion, verse 241

"My only regret is if I die I've left behind no immortal work, nothing to make my friends proud of my memory. But I have lov'd the principle of Beauty in all things, and if I had had the time, I would have made myself remember'd."
from a letter to Fanny Brawne

"My dear dead friend,
you were the first to teach me
how the dust could sing.
I followed in your footsteps
up the Heath.
I listened hard
for Lethe's nightingale.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"At five and twenty,
very far from home,
death picked you up
& sorted to a pip.
& and 15 decades later,
your words breath:
syllables of blood."

["Erica Jong"]

Blessed be, Keats. We love you.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:10 am

Well said Ennis.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Cath » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:02 pm

Love the Jong poem - thanks for posting it. I'm such a bad admirer of our "dear dead friend" - I forgot that it was the anniversary of Keats's death :oops:

BUT on my recent trip to London I stumbled across a 1935 edition of Forman's Letters of John Keats (second edition) - a lovely copy with browned edges and no annotations - and only nine pounds. I snapped it up immediately, not caring about my bulging luggage. Somehow it makes a difference reading the letters in an edition that is not polished (I also have the modern Gittings's Selected Letters from Oxford Univ. Press). You feel, however tenuously, that you're being transported back to a former age and being allowed to read something so private & delicate. I can't really explain it, but I thought you'd all know how I feel.
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:19 am

Cath, I know exactly what you mean. We Keatsians do think alike. I enjoyed hearing from you!
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 am

I know what you mean too Cath.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby marwood » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:49 pm

When I was lucky enough to visit his house in Rome, I took off my shoes to walk up the steps to his room, I must have looked like a mad Englishman! But I wanted to 'feel' where he walked. As I entered his bedroom I felt as though I had been punched in the chest. I stood and listened to the fountain, looked up at the roof tiles, leant against the fireplace. Incredible. Then I visited his grave, I was alone, and sat on the bench opposite reading Nightingale. On his grave were some small flowers, I must admit I picked one and it's pressed in the book of poems I took. Hope this doesn't sound too daft!!

Take care.
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:57 pm

No Marwood, that sounds very moving.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Life and Letters