Who are the people that Keats writes to?

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Who are the people that Keats writes to?

Postby alana16 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:21 pm

Hello, I'm Alana and i am currently a student at college doing my AS levels. I am doing John Keats for my poetry section and i have been asked to read a selection of letters written by Keats for my homework. Problem is i dont know who the following people are: :? :oops:
Jane Reynolds, Benjamin Robert Haydon, Benjamin Bailey, John Taylor, and Richard Woodhouse.
I need to know as soon as possible so if anyone is willing to help please let me know and i will be very grateful.
Thank you :D
alana16

People Keats wrote to

Postby Oliver » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:16 am

JOHN Hamilton Reynolds (1794-1852) was a very close friend who introduced him to many people in literary London. He convinced him not to publish the first preface to Endymion. Himself a poet, he became a lawyer.

Benjamin Bailey (1791-1853) was an early friend. He invited Keats to stay with him at Oxford. He seems to have been a bit pompous. He became a parson, and Keats' friendship with him cooled.

Benjamin Robert Haydon (1786-1846) was another early friend, a painter. Keats met him through Leigh Hunt, the poet and journalist. Haydon was a great enthusiast of the Elgin Marbles. He painted very large historical canvasses. Keats broke with him too, after learning of his quarrels with others of his friends and when Haydon did not repay a loan. Haydon killed himself in 1846.

Richard Woodhouse (1788-1834) was a devoted friend, a lawyer who collected Keats' letters and manuscripts.

John Taylor (1781-1864) with James Augustus Hessey, was Keats' publisher. He helped raise funds to get him to Rome.
Oliver

Thank you

Postby alana16 » Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:34 pm

I would just like to post a reply saying thank you ever so much oliver for taking the time to help me on telling me who those people were are how they knew John Keats. I now know all I need to be able to read Keats' letters to understand who he was writing to and why. I am entirely grateful for your help,,

Thank you
alana16

Postby Becky » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:21 pm

Adding to this, does anyone know anything about Rice? Keats keeps mentioning him in his letters as a close friend and as something of a comedian, yet very little is said of him as a person.
Becky

Postby Saturn » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:26 am

James Rice (1792-1832?)

Rice met Keats through J.H. Reynolds. Rice and Reynolds were members, with Benjamin Bailey of a literary society (Zetosophians - 'I seek wisdom'). Rice was continually in ill health, but Keats appreciated his cheerful spirits and good sense. He described him as 'the most sensible and even wise Man I know' (letter of 17-27 Sept 1819). He helped pay the expenses of Keats' trip to Italy.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Becky » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:33 pm

Thanks a lot for replying, I really appreciate that.

So, was Rice a writer then? If so, did he write anything, and does anything he wrote survive?

Also, what was he ill with?
Becky

Postby Despondence » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:52 pm

He was a lawyer. I don't know, but I guess it is a 50/50 chance he went by consumption, like so many others..
Despondence

Charles Lamb?

Postby Despondence » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:12 pm

Going off on a tangent here, but does anyone know more about Keats opinion on Charles Lamb? There isn't so much written about Lamb in Keatsian Lore, except that Lamb was also in Haydon's circle of friends, and that he was present at the "immortal dinner".

Reason I got curious is, I just came across what must be a bit of a rarity, a 1869 edition of Lamb's essays on "Elia and Eliana" (a bargain at 12 Euros, found it at a used books market in A'dam).

There is one preface by Lamb, dated at July 1821, where he dedicates his works to some unknown person (Elia?), whom Lamb had recently found out had died of consuption eleven months ago. There is a very confusing and convoluted anecdote about some connection to Italy, and some carpenter back home by the name of Elia. What's going on here - Keats dead from consumption less than four months hence, and Lamb dedicates the first edition of this work to some total nobody, consumed a year before?

This all seems very strange to me, thought maybe someone else knows more about Lamb and Keats.
Despondence

Return to Life and Letters