A Book about the Immortal Dinner

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

A Book about the Immortal Dinner

Postby Malia » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:26 pm

Everyone, I was scanning through pbs.org this afternoon, and came across a teachers' resource page. It contained a recommended book for High School students all about the "Immortal Dinner". I figured the hard core Keatsians in this group might be interested in checking it out. Here are the details:

Immortal Dinner: A Famous Evening of Genius and Laughter in Literary London, 1817, The
By Penelope Hughes-Hallett
Published September 2002
Grade Level: 9-12
On December 28, 1817, the painter Benjamin Haydon invited John Keats, William Wordsworth, Charles Lamb, and Tom Monkhouse to a dinner party in his London studio. On the wall hung Haydon’s huge, unfinished canvas “Christ’s Entry into Jerusalem,” which incorporated the likenesses of Keats, Wordsworth, Hazlit, and others. Later they were joined by John Landseer, John Kingston, and Joseph Ritchie, a surgeon who carried a copy of Keats’s Endymion during his African explorations. It was an evening of talk about poetry and art that turned unexpectedly comic when a tipsy Lamb, exasperated by the obtuse questions of Kingston, recited nursery rhymes until he was dragged from the room.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
User avatar
Malia
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:55 am
Location: Washington State, USA

Postby Saturn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:47 pm

You know Malia I saw that book when it came out and it looked very good indeed but I couldn't afford it at the time and didn't manage to get a copy of it.

I still wish I had bought it.

I've been looking for still it for years and haven't seen any copies :(
Last edited by Saturn on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 3939
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:16 am

Postby dks » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:38 pm

Yes...that immortal dinner--it fascinates me--I could perhaps utilize that book as a resource for my thesis--or if not, I can use it for my students for when I teach Keats :shock: next semester...I must obtain a copy...thanks, Miss Malia...

I attempted to find a large print of Haydon's painting...I'd love to have a framed copy of that! I couldn't find one...I only know the original is in the US somewhere--a museum collection, I believe. Haydon is a fascinating figure in and of himself... :shock:
Last edited by dks on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
User avatar
dks
Dante
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:14 am
Location: Texas

Postby dks » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:39 pm

Saturn wrote:You know Malia I saw that book when it came out and it looked very good indeed but I couldn't afford it at the time and din;t manage to geta copy of it.

I still wish I had bought it.

I've been looking for still it for years and haven't seen any copies :(


If I find it, I'll order double and ship it to you, good man. :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
User avatar
dks
Dante
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:14 am
Location: Texas

Postby Malia » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:23 pm

dks wrote:Yes...that immortal dinner--it fascinates me--I could perhaps utilize that book as a resource for my thesis--or if not, I can use it for my students for when I teach Keats :shock: next semester...I must obtain a copy...thanks, Miss Malia...

I attempted to find a large print of Haydon's painting...I'd love to have a framed copy of that! I couldn't find one...I only know the original is in the US somewhere--a museum collection, I believe. Haydon is a fascinating figure in and of himself... :shock:


The original is hanging in a seminary building somewhere in the midwest (Ohio, I think). How big a print are you looking for, dks? Obviously, not life-size! :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
User avatar
Malia
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:55 am
Location: Washington State, USA

Postby Saturn » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:57 pm

Here it is people [the book that is]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Immortal-Dinner ... F8&s=books
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 3939
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:16 am

Postby dks » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:23 am

Malia wrote:
dks wrote:Yes...that immortal dinner--it fascinates me--I could perhaps utilize that book as a resource for my thesis--or if not, I can use it for my students for when I teach Keats :shock: next semester...I must obtain a copy...thanks, Miss Malia...

I attempted to find a large print of Haydon's painting...I'd love to have a framed copy of that! I couldn't find one...I only know the original is in the US somewhere--a museum collection, I believe. Haydon is a fascinating figure in and of himself... :shock:


The original is hanging in a seminary building somewhere in the midwest (Ohio, I think). How big a print are you looking for, dks? Obviously, not life-size! :lol:


Yes, life size would be good! :wink: :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
User avatar
dks
Dante
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:14 am
Location: Texas

Postby dks » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:29 am

I'm a bit tipsy...Saturday night--what can I say? I had dinner with a Libra this evening--what an incredible sign--I must say--a smile that can heal the world, truly--a balm of sorts...certainly.


I love the feeling of alcohol. I needed it tonight. I buried my head into my downy comforter and cried like a little girl earlier because I've recently lost someone I love dearly and my heart is all bound up in all sorts of emotions I haven't felt in a very long time...but wine...it is the salve that shelters the heart and tenderly dulls senses...isn' it?

Ooooh--more whater..

:oops: :oops:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
User avatar
dks
Dante
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:14 am
Location: Texas

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:37 am

I actually got this book. . . hmmm, must not have been too long after it was published. I didn't make it through the whole thing, mainly due to the fact that I had too much other reading to do for school, but it was interesting. The thing that started to drive me a bit nuts was how she goes off on tangents that last for pages and pages before returning to the point. Not that those tangents weren't interesting in and of themselves, but, y'know. . . when you want to read about The Immortal Dinner, you want to read about The Immortal Dinner. If I remember correctly, there's an interesting little bit about the walk that Keats would have taken to get to the dinner. There's also a lot of really interesting stuff about Haydon (he is the author's primary interest).

I'll be home again tomorrow where my copy is, so I'll flip through it again and maybe have a few more comprehensive things to say about it then. :wink:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
User avatar
Credo Buffa
Lamia
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:42 am
Location: Minnesota


Return to Life and Letters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests

cron