how would you cross examine his life with his work?

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

how would you cross examine his life with his work?

Postby decs » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:51 pm

i think for a 25 yr old keats went through alot of difficulties, born into a hard life, lived a hard life and died a painful death. how do u think he xexpresses his hard life theough his poetry. does anyone think he actually used his poetry as a form of reachin out to ppl in his situation therefore forming an escapism for not only himself but for others? plz reply it would help me with my english coursework!
decs

Postby Endymion » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:05 am

Keats developed a profound philosophy about his life and place in the universe & society and used this a lot in his poems, they were inseperable from his life. The whole journey he takes is a measurement of who he is as an individual, specifically his inhibitions about women and his philosophy about poetry being spiritual and emotional medicine for an ailing world.

I love all the references to Classical culture that he poured into his poems and how he used books he was reading as a profound influence on the poetry he wrote. That's another part of the person he was, that his poetry was an outlet for his emotions and chiefly his hopes and dreams and imaginings.

I think if this is for coursework you should look at the text of Endymion and the longer plays, "When I have Fears That I May Cease To Be" is a good one too.

If you haven't already, have a look for York Notes Advanced on his Selected Poems, it's pretty comprehensive.
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Return to Life and Letters