I Think You're Gay

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

I Think You're Gay

Postby LoandBehold » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:29 am

The idea that revolutionary poets such as Keats and Shelly are gay confirms the utter ignorance of the general population of the new millenium.

Please read some Shakespeare and John Milton and maybe the New Testament of a King James Bible and grow up.
LoandBehold

Postby LoandBehold » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:31 am

This message is for the guest who was questioning Keats' sexuality.
LoandBehold

Postby Junkets » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:38 pm

"The idea that revolutionary poets such as Keats and Shelly are gay confirms the utter ignorance of the general population of the new millenium."

Er...What? I'm not sure you've argued your point very well there. Are you suggesting that because they are revolutionary poets they are automatically heterosexual?

I don't think it is inconceivable that any of these poets may have been open minded towards these matters (Shelley advocated 'free love' after all), or even indulged. And quite frankly, why does it matter?
Junkets

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:42 pm

Who cares, it's their work and not their sexuality we're interested in.
Just for the record, Keats certainly wasn't gay, nor was Shelley in the modern sense of homosexual.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Junkets » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:16 pm

Mr Saturn, may I suggest that you reign in both your hostility and your swollen ego. Regardless of whether you care or not about a subject, or whether you agree or not with somebody's view, does not grant you automatic licence to diminish and attempt to undermine that subject or view in the manner of a stroppy teenager.
If you have the desire to view poetry as completely detatched from the poet and their life, and in doing so disregard psycho-analytical theory, then you are perfectly entitled to do so, and I wish you luck with it. But others may not. Could you try exercising an amount of respect for the users of this forum?
Junkets

Postby thenewaustria » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:25 am

Actually, Junkets, Saturn has the right to post whatsoever he wishes on this board

and if you had ever been on here before, you would know that making brash comments like a "stroppy teenager" is what he does

you are, in fact, the one that has come off as brash and argumenative in this thread

Saturn just made a concise comment to reply to yours, which was his opinion expressed not in any way inappropriately, and you fired off like the new marshal in town

this thread has lied dormant since March anyway
so why start it up just to argue?

p.s.
psycho analytical theory is all erroneous
thenewaustria

There's no need for anger

Postby Saturn » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:54 am

I don't even have the energy or the will to reply to this newbie "Junkets" - poetry has lost all its meaning for me - I don't know if it will ever mean anything to me again.

Any of the regulars on here will know that I have no swollen ego whatsoever - I am a very humbel and modest man by my very nature - I can't see where he got that idea from.

I just hate it when people take these things too seriously - I used to and it never made me happy.

The stark facts are these John Keats has been dead for 183 years and nothing anyone can write or say can harm or damage his reputation - he is, and will assuredly remain "one of the English poets".

Whether you hate him or love him, everyone on here has their own interpretation of the man and his work and we all disagree on certain points - there is no need for nastiness or anger over such a (relatively) unimportant subject.

Sure, Art and literature are great things, fine things that reflect the best of humanity : it's creativity, it's endless resourcefulness etc. but there is so much needless suffering and pain in the world to worry too much about men who have been dead for nearly 200 years.
Look on your own doorsteps, in your own cities, not in the dusty pages of a volume of poetry - there is more beauty and truth in life and real experience than you will ever get from ANY poem you will ever read.

“…many books are written to make people read, the best are written to force them to think.”

“If a man would know what the world ought to be let him read books, if he wishes to know what the world is, he must read men.”

-John Clare
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Steen » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:13 am

Keats...gay!?
What in the name of saint Johns holy left testical!? :shock:
How on earth can a man who writes letter like he did to Fanny Brawne be considered gay!?
I never saw the orignal post....I wish I had coz I would need to see some really good evidense to support such a claim.... :?
You don't love a women because she is beatiful, she is beatiful because you love her.
Steen

Return to Life and Letters