Drinking habits

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Drinking habits

Postby Mallard » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:51 am

I have not read a biography on Keats, and I was curious how he felt about alcohol. I know he makes reference to it in a few poems, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the subject. I'm reminded right now of a quote by Benjamin Franklin about drinking :wink: .
Mallard

Keats and drinking

Postby Stephen Smith » Tue May 04, 2004 4:46 pm

I recall that Keats and a good friend would sit outside and put pepper on their tongues and chase it with claret (wine).

Evidently, they got a big charge out of this rather innocent rush and flavor combination. :D

My guess would be that Keats saw drunkeness as something that existed mentally without alcohol as well as in the physical state.

Steve
Stephen Smith

Postby nightingale » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:06 pm

'give me women, wine and snuff', and 'o for a draught of vintage!', seem to inply Keats enjoyed a drink yet look at 'What can I do to drive away'- 'Shall I gulp wine? No, that is vulgarism/A heresy and schism,/Foisted into the canon law of love'. Hmm... i think its fair to suggest Keats had typically contradictory views on that as well as so many other things!
beauty is truth, truth beauty. That is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know.
nightingale

Postby Wickers_Poet » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:55 pm

And the bit where he says, give me a draught of vintage 'Cool'd a long age in ...' so that he 'May drink, and leave the world, unseen.' And fly away with the nightingale into the dim forests of time/oblivion. I may even be misquoting here, so please feel free to correect me can't be bothered to look it up.
Wickers_Poet

Postby T. Fuchs » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:48 pm

I think keats viewed alcohol as he , ultimately did art, an escape from mortality, but had to aedmit to himself that alcohol was not quite as effective as art, and thqat both, ultimately were cold comfort to the medical reality ofmortality - cf nightingale and urn.
T. Fuchs

Postby Steen » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:08 pm

Oh god yes...In nightingale he is almost pineing for wine!
How can a romantic "fade from the world" unless he is high or drunk?
You don't love a women because she is beatiful, she is beatiful because you love her.
Steen

Postby Steen » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:12 pm

He was out of it enough with just booze....What Keats would have been like on pills REALLY is best left to a alterative history thread, along with other qustions like "What if Hitler had won" or "What if Russa made the A-bomb first" or "What if we still own America!" That last one is a nice dream!
You don't love a women because she is beatiful, she is beatiful because you love her.
Steen

Postby Steen » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:12 pm

He was out of it enough with just booze....What Keats would have been like on pills REALLY is best left to a alterative history thread, along with other qustions like "What if Hitler had won" or "What if Russa made the A-bomb first" or "What if we still own America!" That last one is a nice dream!
Steen

Return to Life and Letters