Is Carpe deim a proper lifestlye?

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Becky » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:15 pm

Do the romantic thing, and walk.
Becky

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:35 pm

I do, but walking only gets you so far... :roll:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Steen » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:39 am

I love to walk. More specificaly I love to walk at dawn/dusk and night...everything seems so peaceful and calm. However you run the risk of being jumped by the mindless townie/chav/deadhead filth that walks the streets of Didcot late at night *shudders*
But still walkings good. I't just I don't like doing it in the day. I'm not anti-socal (in fact I am very, very socal) but sometime you just want time alone to think.
The annoying thing is I forget any ideas I have once I get home!!!
You don't love a women because she is beatiful, she is beatiful because you love her.
Steen

Postby Becky » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:34 pm

walking only gets you so far...

Walking only takes you as far as your imagination.

Admittedly, I have been to Didcot, a little way off my usual beat, with its power station straddling the town like a colossus, but then I do not as yet have the cash to see the ancient ruins of Greece and Rome on my own, either. Go as far as you can afford, but then stop and let your imagination take over. Milton hadn't actually been to heaven or hell had he? but still managed to seize the day and write about them despite his disability. Come to mention it, had Milton been anywhere much? I know he was a soldier...
Becky

Postby Fred » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:00 pm

Wasnt Milton Blind?? I think there was a mentin somewhere in a book I read years ago about the blind poet surrounded by his scribing poets... actually I think it was a Rose in Bloom by L.M. Alcott.
Anyway as for the whole seize the day thing I think thats a little umm Im looking for a diplomatic word here ... unpracticle??

I mean even Keats didnt truly sieze the day in that he lived only for the day he wanted to get married didnt he?
I agree with enjoying the present as much as you can but I think that you can still do that and be practicle (ie in todays world materilistic).

Maybe as the world has changed the way you sieze the day has changed? The way I do it is getting disproportionately happy about the smallest of things like I dont know snow or chocolate brownies or finding a pound coin in my skirt pokets or getting more than zero on a french or maths paper or having my first driving lesson or reading a book or "discovering" a poet I like.... the list is endless one of the newest being someone answering my post.

Point is you dont really really need money to sieze the day and for really big stuff like a trip to Japan or in my case Rome and Athens it is alright to be materlistic and want money because they just help.
And planning a structured life is good to.

I think I waffled a little to much but yeah my point is in there somewhere :)
My imagination is a monastery, and I am its monk. You must explain my metaphors to yourself.
Fred

Postby Steen » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:30 pm

Poor Keats....he probley did want to be married....but the fact that he knew he was dying ment that he couldn't perpose to Fanny Brawn...she would be a widow in a few years.

I agree with what you are saying in that it is the small things, but Keats talked about it being a way of life. I mean, in ode to the nightingale he just sits and stares at one...I mean, today when do we see a nightingale and when do we get the time to sit and look. I mean the natrual beatuy of the world is there if you look for it but franky i'm too busy revising for A2's to look for it!
I just think todays world is to hetic...never a time to sit back and relax. Maybe it's just me!
You don't love a women because she is beatiful, she is beatiful because you love her.
Steen

Postby Fred » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:23 am

Yeah in in the same boat with A2 revision which is why I joined figured this was the best way to revise Keats.

Actually if you see his letters especially To George and Gorgina Keats october 25 1818 towards the end he says "I hope I will never marry."
My imagination is a monastery, and I am its monk. You must explain my metaphors to yourself.
Fred

Postby Becky » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:47 pm

I know he was a soldier...

Oops, that was Bunyan.

As for Keats, I always thought the general consensus was he was pretending not to be madly in love with Fanny to George, in fact trying desperately not to fall in love with her anyway. Marriage was about property as well as love in those days, and as George had just sunk the k family financially, there was no money to marry her. He could of course be maintaining his privacy, or jilting f, but that seems unlikely. He did propose to her and get secretly engaged, after all...
Becky

Previous

Return to Life and Letters