life vs poetry

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

life vs poetry

Postby RandiKeats » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:32 pm

Hi everyone! I was just wandering... What does everyone think about the differences in John's life and his poetry. For instance, often in reality he would be plagued with feelings completly opposite than those "happy happy love" ones found in his work. What do you think were some of the reasons for that? I feel it can be taken as a lesson. No mater how bad things get for me, I can still be happy and write and know that its not the end of the world (in most cases). What about everone else? any thoughts?
"A heaven without you would cause me so much pain and a heaven with pain is simply ironic in name. By the waters, is surely, where it lays its claim. And that's where i'll be waiting for you... where the waters are their bluest blue.... "
RandiKeats

Postby nightingale » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:19 pm

I think Keats found Poetry as an escape from the painful world of actuality, so he had different feelings about it than about real life. Read ode to a nightingale and contrast the world where 'youth grows pale, and spectre-thin and dies' with the nightingale (fancy/poetry)-the 'light winged Dryad of the trees' and the 'viewless wings of Poesy'. Also, the 'happy love' bit in Grecian Urn- isnt that kind of ironic given the 'Bold lover, never, never canst thou kiss' showing how the world of fantasy is always incomplete, or the assertion that it 'leaves a heart high-sorrowful and cloyed,/A burning forehead and a parching tongue'? Anyway, that's just my view-feel free to disagree!
beauty is truth, truth beauty. That is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know.
nightingale

Postby Steen » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:16 pm

My exam qustion was "How does Keats show a desire to escape the harshness of life" and I simply said that his poetry, particly Lamia shows how wonderful life can be in a dream.
Also Lamia shows how the sudden exposer of the real world can be such a bring down. Lycus dies when he sees the truth.
Also ode to a nighting gale shows that you can have a wonderful experince....but it must end.
You don't love a women because she is beatiful, she is beatiful because you love her.
Steen

Postby nightingale » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:51 pm

my exam question was exactly the same! AQA? Good point about Lamia-Apollonius acting as the cold light of reality. Philosophy will clip an Angel's wings.
beauty is truth, truth beauty. That is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know.
nightingale

Postby Wickers_Poet » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:51 pm

What fantastical exam quetions. Never heard of anywhere in the UK. We don't do things like that. We Should.
Wickers_Poet

Postby nightingale » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:00 pm

Umm...I'm in the UK. How come you don't get the same exam questions?
nightingale

Postby Wickers_Poet » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:30 pm

You must be going to a good school. I used to get questions like describe the form Keats is using and how it relates to the theme, really general easy-peasy lemon-squeezy questions. I still got a D/E for at GCSE but I've just graduated last month in English Literature and am a published poet! Stuff the teachers! :lol:
Wickers_Poet

Postby Saturn » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:50 pm

Congrats - teachers :roll:

What do they know :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:12 am

Cheapest proxy service on the net! Daily socks proxy list service. Lists are updated 3-5 times per day.

http://www.checkproxy.net

Keats is Depicting Reality

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:40 am

These must be the worst arguments I have ever Heard about why Keats writes what he writes.

Keats wasn't trying to escape reality like an idiot would, he was actually depicting it(reality). As a matter of fact he ends Ode on A Grecian Urn saying truth and beauty are the most crucial elements that mankind can come to know because most of his poems are getting at the idea that reality is shaped by the powers of the human mind.

Look closely at Keats' poems, notice that what is primary is the mind! The mind is reality to Keats and he has to say it over and over again because people don't get it! Have any of you read Ben Nevis? He ends the poem talking about thoughts! Have any of you read To Some Ladies? he ends it by implying that the keepsake that was given to him represents the minds and thoughts of those ladies that gave him the present.

He's not escaping reality he is letting you know what it is!
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:38 pm

This record is scratched....This record is scratched....This record is scratched....This record is scratched....This record is scratched....This record is scratched....This record is scratched....etc... :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:48 am

I sometimes wonder what Keats would have to say about Life and Poetry if he was resurrectred and transported into the 21st century, and what kind of poetry he'd write now - if at all he could be bothered to write anymore.

Would he still be able to see the beauty in the skylark's warble with smog smothering the urban avians and stinging his weakling poet's eyes? Would he find the poetry of earth dead, and the cricket's call drowned in the ceaseless hum of high-voltage power lines bringing ever more power to the people? I think the current state of affairs would inspire him to revise Hyperion, and have the Olympian Gods and the Titans all annihilate each other in one final cataclysmic clash, no survivors, no insurgents, no freedom fighters. (hell, Byron might be right at home in our time. Hell, I guess he actually is pop culture compared to Keats..)

Which reminds me, I just read "Olympos" by Dan Simmons, the conclusion to the story that began with "Ilium". What a mind job, I have to say - gives a whole new meaning to the word "anachronism". Nowhere near as good as his Hyperion/Endymion series, but still. Keats also gets a nod in a few places, Simmons stealing a couple of lines from the Nightingale ode and mixing them up with some Shakespearean lines which I have forgotten now. Well, I'll withhold the spoilers in case somebody actually plans to read this book..
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:28 am

In times like these - can poetry do any good any more, except on an individual basis??

Sure poetry can help heal one person's scars but who can write something that can heal the whole world which has gone crazy :(
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Steen » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:40 pm

The world does not want poetry anymore.....the nearest thing would be Rap music *shudders* an even then they have to write F**k or S**t ever other word to get it to rhyme. Poetry is seen as something for English students, class rooms and high-class ponces rather then all classes and creeds.
Can you really see the Burbury-wearing gangs that tend to infest England and other counties even stopping to listen, let alone attempt to think about it?
And what would the world-healing poet say?
"Stop terroism?" (Which can only be done with force, there is no apeasing them)
"Get out of Iraq" (Which would lose money from the oil)
"The Children our the future" (That would entail paying for schools)
"Stop sacaficing all in the name of money" (To 90% of the govenments of the world, this is just short of BLASPAMY!)

Sadly words mean little in todays world. Unless the person has been dead for 2000 years (Jesus), I doubt one persons opinion will change the world....
You don't love a women because she is beatiful, she is beatiful because you love her.
Steen

Postby Despondence » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:02 pm

Steen wrote:The world does not want poetry anymore.....the nearest thing would be Rap music *shudders* an even then they have to write F**k or S**t ever other word to get it to rhyme.

Yeah, the future belongs to the rappers.

When I'm s**t out of luck,
I just use the word f**k
'Cause it sounds like when you're hit
By a truck.
(Yo 'm homies - y'all listenin to what I say? Can 'y say yeah-ah.. YEAH-AH)

Maybe I should become a rapper. Can't be any worse than Madonna. DJ Zoido, take the stage..

O Sorrow!
Why dost borrow
The mellow ditties from a morning tounge? -
To give at evening pale
Unto the nightingale,
That thou mayest listen the cold dews among?

Would that those sage astronomers (for whom I work, incidentally) would find that new Earth soon, and that we one day may take our leave of this wretched rock which we have ruined and start fresh anew under different skies, where poetry shall be creed and rapping the eleventh sin.. :P
Despondence

Next

Return to Life and Letters