Keats, a wizard?!

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats, a wizard?!

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:07 pm

I just re-discovered this picture and I thought I'd share it with you.

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, and I was watching the first movie just after it came out on DVD, and was surprised and highly amused to find a certain painting hanging in a very prominent location in Hogwarts:

Make of it what you will :lol:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby fleshyniteshade » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:13 am

...That is so neat ^_^

I always see reference to Lord Byron all the time on TV. Heck, they even have a Grim Adventure of Billy and Mandy about Lord Byron. Why not Keats I say!
"aye, my envious dreams do shyly express thy tenderous lips fairly laced with sensous honey and I like aroused virgins dwell upon such dining"
fleshyniteshade

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:38 am

Nice spotting :shock:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:38 pm

My question is: who on the art direction team was the Keats fan?!

Sadly, it's not one of the animated portraits :(
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:35 pm

I think that they just chose the picture of Keats as it's a 'period' picture - in the props department it's all about the look of something - I doubt there's a Keats fan amongst them :roll:

I remember laughing at the sets on Gladiator which had busts of Emperors who were not even born in the period the film was set - then again they probably never expect nerds like me to spot these wee details :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:37 am

I dunno. . . I wouldn't be so sure. Seems a pretty random portrait to choose, isn't it?

I do suppose they'd want something inconspicuous, but it almost seems easier for them to create their own CGI portrait (like most of the other ones) than have to go through whatever channels and pay whatever rights to the NPG in London for the use of that particular one.

Maybe I just prefer to think of Keats as a wizard :P
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:08 pm

He WAS a wizard....

with words :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:06 pm

ah ha, you're very right.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:46 am

Too bad he wasn't one of the talking pictures! I can imagine him saying: "Be quiet, you little brats! I'm trying to read here!" Keats was not overly fond of loud children--though, as I think on it, I suspect he'd be fascinated by the world of witchcraft and probably strike up a lively conversation with Hermione on the subject. :wink:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:28 am

I know, I kept looking in scenes where this portrait is visible to see if they decided to animate it at all--even just the slightest bit, like him turning the page or something--but alas.

Perhaps that's another reason they chose it: unlike the other portraits, which are either a single subject posing (obviously boring, so that the subject must talk/move about/etc. to keep amused) or a group of people, this one is a single subject engaged in a solitary, physically sedate activity. One gets the illusion that it might be an active portrait, even though it's not.

However, it's fun to think what the Keats portrait would say/do if given the opportunity. I can definitely see him getting annoyed with other figures wandering through his portrait on the way to the next one ;)
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Return to Life and Letters