Some one please help me!!

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Some one please help me!!

Postby Angell_Face » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:39 pm

Does anyone know where I can find Keat's letter to Wordsworth dated 27th November 1818??

Am doing an essay on it but can't find the letter, good start!!
Angell_Face

Postby Saturn » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:40 pm

I've tried google, everything but I'm sorry I can't find this letter for you :cry:

Your best bet is to find a copy ofH. Buxton Forman's Complete letters of John Keats in the library - I presume you're a student.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Angell_Face » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:44 pm

Thanks anyway, hopefully I'll find it in the Library!
Angell_Face

Postby Despondence » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:57 pm

I don't remember reading this letter...but I don't have my books at hand to check if it's in there somewhere (but I trust in Stephen's findings that it's not in any of the common editions). November 1818? Hmm, what would Keats write to Wordworth about at this time? He would have been in Hampstead, nursing Tom who died in December, and himself with an increasingly sore throat after the scotch tour.. I thought Keats did not have much to say to Wordsworth after the "paganism" dismissal, and then the immortal dinner :) But there were a couple of reviews in the Blackwood and the Quarterly around that time, touching on both Keats and Wordsworth's works, no? I don't know, but I'm curious about it.. (btw, what's your reference for this letter?)
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:55 am

Thinking about this one Despondence perhaps the date is wrong or something.

I think if there was a letter to Wordsworth at this time it must have been perhaps just a note - I think he left a note in Wordsworth's house saying he had missed him when he called but I can't remeber there actually being a letter.

Perhaps the date is wrong but at that time Keats was writing one of those huge letters to George and Georgiana Keats in America.

I don't have a complete edition of all the letters though so I might be wrong there :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:33 pm

I wonder if maybe you're referring to a letter written by Keats's friend, Benjamin Robert Haydon, to Wordsworth in which he recommends Keats as a promising poetic talent. I don't have my copy of the letters with me, but I don't particularly recall Keats ever writing directly to Wordsworth. He certainly wrote about him in his letters, and (as I said above) had letters written by others to Wordsworth concerning him. . .
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:44 pm

Good point - I'll check that one out.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Life and Letters