Leigh Hunt's Letter to Severn about Keats

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Leigh Hunt's Letter to Severn about Keats

Postby Aquarius » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:53 am

Hunt's letter to Severn at the time when Keats was perishing away with TB is one of the most moving tributes I've read about anyone. I thought I'd share it:

"Tell him (Keats) that we shall all bear his memory in the most precious part of our hearts, and that the world shall bow their heads to it, as our loves do. Tell him... that the most sceptical of us has faith enough in the high things that nature puts into our heads, to think that all who of one accord in mind and heart, are journeying to one and the same place, and shall unite somehow or other again face to face, mutually conscious, mutually delighted. Tell him he is only before us on the road, as he was in everything else, and that we are coming after him."

I find from reading Keats biography that everyone that he touched so truly loved him. His goodness made people love him. I also find it tragic that he left the world thinking that he had done nothing to make him remembered; so much so that he wanted his epitaph to say "here lies one whose name was writ on water".
It appears to me that almost any man may like the spider spin from his own inwards his own airy citadel.
Aquarius

Re: Leigh Hunt's Letter to Severn about Keats

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:46 am

Well said Aquarius, and I certainly share your perspective. I have always been so deeply moved by the "If I should die" letter Keats wrote to Fanny Brawne in February 1820. I really believe he was as transparent about his perspective on his life as he had ever been in this letter. The quote is central to my understanding of Keats in fact.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:36 pm

I find from reading Keats biography that everyone that he touched so truly loved him. His goodness made people love him. I also find it tragic that he left the world thinking that he had done nothing to make him remembered; so much so that he wanted his epitaph to say "here lies one whose name was writ on water

Ah yes..if only he could have known how much he would touch the hearts of us modern people living in concrete jungles!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby keatsclose » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 pm

Re 'concrete jungles', the Bo Peep near Hastings which Keats visited, then a well-known beauty spot,
is now the site of an oversized, hideous MFI metal 'shed'. The slip road leading to it is Keats Close.
keatsclose

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:25 pm

Fascinating detail keatsclose. Wish I could be there to see it however.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Funnily enough I'll be in Hastings in a few weeks, perhaps I'll keep a look out for Keats Close.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:48 pm

keatsclose wrote:Re 'concrete jungles', the Bo Peep near Hastings which Keats visited, then a well-known beauty spot,
is now the site of an oversized, hideous MFI metal 'shed'. The slip road leading to it is Keats Close.

That makes me feel sick. I think John would have hated this century! (p.s I like to call him by his first name as you might have noticed - using surnames in seatd of first names is something we do up here to be impertinent to someone - so don't mind me... :lol: My surname is John actually and I got called that to be insulted at school- but somehow it didn't quite have the intended effect! )

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:42 am

"But somehow it didn't have the intended effect!"

Your comment on 'John' is wonderful and funny, Raphael. :D I like it.

And yes, John Keats, Junkets, Mr. Keats would not like the concrete jungles, it is true. That makes at least 2 of us.
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:25 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:"But somehow it didn't have the intended effect!"

Your comment on 'John' is wonderful and funny, Raphael. :D I like it.

And yes, John Keats, Junkets, Mr. Keats would not like the concrete jungles, it is true. That makes at least 2 of us.

LOL! Well being called John is fine by me even if I'm female
:D

Sweet Junkets wouldn't have fitted in with the 21st century.
He would have hated call centres, traffic, adverts, the fastness of this century. I don't think he'd have liked electric lighting even, but he would have liked the TB injection /antibiotics though- that would have saved him.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Life and Letters