Isabella Jones

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Brave Archer » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:34 am

I do everyday daydream about what it must be like to be in love with someone. I'm 23, i'm not sure wether that is too young or too old, and i've never been in love and I long for it, but im afraid of it What happens if she changes her mind? what happens if she meets someone with more money or statur? But I spend so much time gazing off wondering about love and how great it must feel and I can't help but daydream on those possibilities of happiness, joy and an all around feeling of bliss. What I wouldn't give for love. Let me stop before i'm look'd upon as crazy and am banned from this forum.
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby Despondence » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:48 am

:shock: If that were so, then we're all crazy and should all be banned. Hmm. Come to think of it..

Ok, off we go - 'nuff of this pretentious sanity, see you in the asylum for the chronic romantics!

(oh wait - we're here already....well never mind)
Despondence

Postby dks » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:46 am

23? Wow. You are young.

But, then, Keats was already madly in love at 23...in fact he was just shy of 24 when he finally gave in to his heart's longing for Ms. Brawne.

But always be careful that with whomever you end up, she is not "a little inclined toward the Cressid." :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:05 am

Brave Archer wrote:I do everyday daydream about what it must be like to be in love with someone. I'm 23, i'm not sure wether that is too young or too old, and i've never been in love and I long for it, but im afraid of it What happens if she changes her mind? what happens if she meets someone with more money or statur? But I spend so much time gazing off wondering about love and how great it must feel and I can't help but daydream on those possibilities of happiness, joy and an all around feeling of bliss. What I wouldn't give for love. Let me stop before i'm look'd upon as crazy and am banned from this forum.

Why would you be banned? :lol:

As for love, I didn't truly fall in love until I was 23 or so and still now at the age of 26 have never actually found someone who reciprocated my feelings.

It's too easy to fall in love with the wrong person at the wrong time.

There's no worse feeling than unrequited love.

I think both sexes might agree on that point.

I AM crazy, but you aren't so don't worry about it.

You are still very young.
Last edited by Saturn on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:43 am

Brave Archer wrote:I do everyday daydream about what it must be like to be in love with someone. I'm 23, i'm not sure wether that is too young or too old, and i've never been in love and I long for it, but im afraid of it.

Well, I'm 23 as well, and I'm convinced that 23 isn't at all too old (or young), especially in the contemporary world. I won't let myself feel like an old maid until I'm at least. . . 30?. . . :wink:

Though watching all my friends get picked off one by one, left and right certainly doesn't do much for my confidence in that regard. No wonder I'm such a cynic. :roll:

But I completely understand the idea of being afraid of it. Strong emotions of any kind are sort of frightening, when you think about it. . . just the idea that something so abstract and irrational can take you over so completely, whether you allow it or not.

Keats is a perfect example of that kind of feeling taking over. I'm sure he fought his love for Fanny Brawne with every fiber of his being (the opinions of those within his circle certainly didn't help there either), but in the end, love was stronger than his desire to remain the undistracted poet. What's not to be afraid of when you know that all your ambitions could crumble into the dust because that one person wanders into your life? When you think of it that way, love sounds pretty horrible, doesn't it?!

Saturn wrote:There's no worse feeling than unrequited love.

Nothing worse, and nothing stronger.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:55 am

Credo Buffa wrote:I won't let myself feel like an old maid until I'm at least. . . 30?. . . :wink:

I'm starting to feel pretty OLD right about now--as I'm 31 and I'm still single. It may not be the same as being passionately in love, but It CAN be quite the adventure 8)
As far as that dividing line between "sweet young thang" and "old maid"--I, being 31 (oh, I said that already ;)) think that "old maid is as old maid does" and as long as a person is young at heart (and has enough money to purchase the proper facial creams and makeup--hehe) then there's no age that can be designated the "old maid" age.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:04 am

Malia wrote:
Credo Buffa wrote:I won't let myself feel like an old maid until I'm at least. . . 30?. . . :wink:

I'm starting to feel pretty OLD right about now--as I'm 31 and I'm still single. It may not be the same as being passionately in love, but It CAN be quite the adventure 8)
As far as that dividing line between "sweet young thang" and "old maid"--I, being 31 (oh, I said that already ;)) think that "old maid is as old maid does" and as long as a person is young at heart (and has enough money to purchase the proper facial creams and makeup--hehe) then there's no age that can be designated the "old maid" age.

I know, I was just kidding :wink:

I went through a good portion of last year thrilled to death to be very, very single. No doubt I'll end up there again if I end up going abroad again at some point, because it's definitely easier being a world traveller and not being attached. You're definitely right there, Malia; singledom can certainly be an adventure if you want it to be!
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:26 am

I'm in my *ahem* 30's as well. I've been divorced--so, I know what it's like to be single and feel set free from hell and bondage. :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Despondence » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:19 am

Credo Buffa wrote:I won't let myself feel like an old maid until I'm at least. . . 30?. . . :wink: Though watching all my friends get picked off one by one, left and right certainly doesn't do much for my confidence in that regard. No wonder I'm such a cynic. :roll:

Wait until they all start having babies before you, and then you'll know the meaning of "feeling old" !!!

Credo Buffa wrote:
Saturn wrote:There's no worse feeling than unrequited love.

Nothing worse, and nothing stronger.

I thought about this one (for several years, I might add), and I'm not sure it's true, but it certainly feels close enough as to make no difference, I agree..

At the same time it is one of the pillars of romance...isn't it? Imagine if all love was requited? Romance would face extinction! Yay hedonism.. :lol:
Despondence

Postby Despondence » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:00 am

Malia wrote:As far as that dividing line between "sweet young thang" and "old maid"--I, being 31 (oh, I said that already ;)) think that "old maid is as old maid does" and as long as a person is young at heart (and has enough money to purchase the proper facial creams and makeup--hehe) then there's no age that can be designated the "old maid" age.

From the penultimate chapter of "Dorian Gray" (which I'm desperately trying to finish tonight!) I just have to quote one of Harry's wonderful paradoxes here:
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

While I'm never one to argue with Harry, I have to say that, while he is right on the money with the paradox, he is wrong about it being a tragedy. It's All Right, 's what I think ;)
Despondence

Postby Fortuna » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:51 pm

If unrequited love is your biggest problem, then you must be a very lucky person.

Although I am not one to speak. I can't say I have ever known the sting of unrequited love as I have been rather fortunate... in setting my standards on an easily achievable low. :D
"Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath"
Fortuna

Postby Despondence » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:47 pm

Fortuna wrote:I can't say I have ever known the sting of unrequited love as I have been rather fortunate... in setting my standards on an easily achievable low. :D

How very unromantic and sensible of you.

:P
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:40 pm

In my case it;s not a case of too high standards, just that I seem to be despised, or at least am singularly unattractive to the opposite sex.

I do unfortunately have the nerds' syndrome of being attrcated to what shall we say 'the captain of the cheerleaders' or the equivalent.

Haven't I seen enough Hollywood movies to realise the nerd never gets the girl? :cry:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:29 am

Despondence wrote:Wait until they all start having babies before you, and then you'll know the meaning of "feeling old" !!!

Been there already :roll:

Saturn wrote:Haven't I seen enough Hollywood movies to realise the nerd never gets the girl?

I must be watching different movies than you. Isn't it the point of these movies to make the nerd into the hero? It's hardly a feel-good show if the star quarterback ends up with the cheerleader, is it? Who goes to the movies to watch how things happen in the real world, anyway? :?

I'm starting to think we need to add a thread to the "miscellaneous" section for all our "hopeless romantic" discussion, seeing as it seem that we always seem to drift toward the topic. . .
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:16 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:I'm starting to think we need to add a thread to the "miscellaneous" section for all our "hopeless romantic" discussion, seeing as it seem that we always seem to drift toward the topic. . .

The sexually frustated/hopeless romantic thread?? :? :shock:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Life and Letters