HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. KEATS!

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. KEATS!

Postby Malia » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:25 pm

Today is (if I have my math right) Keats's 214th birthday. Please use this thread to post any and all Birthday messages :) What is it you enjoy most about Keats and his works? What is it that, in your mind, has kept him "alive" these 2 centuries and more?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. KEATS!

Postby Aquarius » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:16 am

I'm one day late, but Happy Birthday to you Mr. Keats!

I think what makes Keats the man and his poetry so enduring is mostly because of his life story. Of course, his poetry is wonderful and will always be treasured, but it is his biography that makes his poetry so accessible. His life was cut so short, and his poetry often touches on themes of death and life, that you can see this transient quality of his life reflected in his poetry and vice versa. Not only that, but he has these amazing letters that allow readers to see how the poems were formed. I think also, as a person, Keats had all these contradictions in his character that are reflected in his poetry. It's the contradictions that allows his poetry to be interpreted in innumerable ways, and so they never get old.
It appears to me that almost any man may like the spider spin from his own inwards his own airy citadel.
Aquarius

Postby Raphael » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:27 pm

his poetry often touches on themes of death and life, that you can see this transient quality of his life reflected in his poetry and vice versa

His birthday is on Samhain- the old Celtic festival of honouring the dead-interesting. I was celebrating Samhain on Saturday night and I found myself thinking of him and hoping he is happy wherever he is now- such a bright soul as his has to be somewhere...

What is it you enjoy most about Keats and his works? What is it that, in your mind, has kept him "alive" these 2 centuries and more?

He is the best poet the world has ever seen in my opinion- what makes this so is the magic, beauty, sensuality, spirituality and sensitivity of his words- the imagery is so rich, lush and alive . Also the little epiphanies one gets reading them, or the gateways he opnes to other worlds. He was a genius, inspired and inspiring. And a very handsome man to top all that. :D
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:29 pm

Better than Shakespeare, better than Homer, Virgil, Petrarch, Dante, Milton, Goethe? :mrgreen:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:37 pm

Saturn wrote:Better than Shakespeare, better than Homer, Virgil, Petrarch, Dante, Milton, Goethe? :mrgreen:

YEAH!!!
:D
I am going on how John moves me more than they do and that he still had so much more to write and what he would have achieved had he not died so young.
I know it's a bit naughty to say he's better than Dante and Shakespeare but it is some quality John had that is almost hard to define other than using the words magical and spiritual- true they fit..but's there's something else, something indefineable almost. To be honest I'm not huge on poems- my faves after John are Oscar Wilde and DG Rossetti. (Nupital Sleep... :D )- most of it I have read for literature courses then I lay them aside. I'm more of a novel person.But John Keats- he is out of this world.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Fair enough, I can understand that. Keats is a poet of the senses and is right up there with those aforementioned luminaries for me as well, but he wasn't working in a vacuum, he didn't emerge as a poet fully formed, his work is informed, influenced and dictated to some extent, like all artists by what has come before, but he does have his own unique voice it is true and that is something very hard to achieve in poetry as in any art.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:34 pm

Saturn wrote:Fair enough, I can understand that. Keats is a poet of the senses and is right up there with those aforementioned luminaries for me as well, but he wasn't working in a vacuum, he didn't emerge as a poet fully formed, his work is informed, influenced and dictated to some extent, like all artists by what has come before, but he does have his own unique voice it is true and that is something very hard to achieve in poetry as in any art.

I know what you mean- he read some earlier works by others and got some ideas..yet he ccame up with some of his own great profound ideas (Negative Capability and The Vale of Soul Making).
What he wrote feels so deep and personal yet reaches you deep inside. An evening spent with his poems is one well spent!
I think it is so cruel and tragic he died at 25- if he had lived I am convinced he would have been the best poet the world has ever seen.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Life and Letters