Vocabulary through Keats

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Vocabulary through Keats

Postby Malia » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:27 pm

Last week, after months of study, I finally took the Miller's Analogies Test which is required for entrance into the graduate program to which I'm applying. As part of my study--to stave off boredom and help me learn more vocabulary--I decided to make Keats-related sentences utilizing vocab words that were likely to be used in the test. I thought I'd share my sentences--primarily because, well, they deal with Keats ;) and also because it's fun to learn some new vocab words! (You can see, I only made it through half of the "a" list of words :lol: but it's a start!)

Vocabulary through Keats

1. Keats’s interest in poetry was an aberation from what the rest of his family chose to do as a profession.
2. Compared to his friends, Keats’s consumption of claret was considered abstemious.
3. As far as sex is concerned, Keats did not keep abstinent until marriage.
4. Keats’s concept of beauty was abstract.
5. When I was 15, I found Keats’s artistic philosophies to be quite abstruse.
6. Keats’s poetry did not achieve widespread acclaim until after his death.
7. Since his death, every accolade in literature has been given to Keats.
8. Keats accreted knowledge of poetry through intense study.
9. Though ridiculed by critics and told to return to his plasters and pills, Keats didn’t acquiesce but continued to write.
10. Keats had an acute vision of what he wanted to achieve in poetry.
11. After Keats’s death, Joseph Severn was a strong advocate for Keats’s poetry.
12. All of Keats’s poetry was aesthetic in nature.
13. Joseph Severn agreed to accompany Keats to Rome with great alacrity (as was his nature).
14. In December 1819, Keats tried to alleviate the pain in his chest with doses of laudanum.
15. Keats’s grandfather allocated a certain sum of money to each of his grandchildren in his will.
16. Throughout Keats’s work, you can see allusions to Shakespeare and Milton—two of his favorite writers.
17. Keats was never able to amass a monetary fortune from sales of his poetry.
18. Keats made an ambiguous statement when he said that he’d been disappointed since youth due to “earlier misfortunes”.
19. For a while in the summer of 1820, Keats felt ambivalent about whether to travel to Rome or stay in London for the winter.
20. During the last few months of his life, Keats was not ambulatory.
21. During the coach ride from Naples to Rome, Severn tried hard to ameliorate Keats’s discomfort by walking along side the coach and filling it with flowers.
22. All of Keats’s friends considered him to be fun and amiable.
23. The amity between Keats and Brown was strong. Keats considered Brown to be his best friend.
24. Though Keats didn’t like the way the country was run under the Prince Regent, he didn’t believe in anarchy either.
25. One of the best anecdotes about Keats’s plucky nature had to do with the time he beat up a butcher’s boy who was torturing a cat.
26. Keats was always very animated when talking about his love of nature.
27. Keats held great animosity for the practical joker Charles Wells—the friend he thought killed his brother Tom.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:10 am

ha ha, fun idea! Do you have a list like this for every letter of the alphabet?
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:11 pm

Well done Malia - you are a true wordsmith :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:20 pm

Malia, that takes extraordinary adroitness and scholarly pluck--
in short, you rock. :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:03 am

Credo Buffa wrote:ha ha, fun idea! Do you have a list like this for every letter of the alphabet?

Oh my gosh, no! My vocab study list was something like 500 words long. I barely made it through half the "a" list before I decided "I don't know enough about Keats to use every word in a sentence!" (And frankly, I was too impatient even to complete the "a's" let alone the rest of the alphabet. :lol: )
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:14 am

Malia wrote:I barely made it through half the "a" list before I decided "I don't know enough about Keats to use every word in a sentence!" (And frankly, I was too impatient even to complete the "a's" let alone the rest of the alphabet. :lol: )

Well, perhaps you will have to make other lists with other themes :wink:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Return to Life and Letters