The Keats wikipedia

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: The Keats wikipedia

Postby Raphael » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:16 pm

I've added in most things mentioned. Fanny has her own page now. There seems lot of contradictory evidence on when Keats a) went off the idea of being a medic b) decided to leave the medical profession, c) gave up the idea definitively d) actually walked away. As far as I can see from Motion, Bates and Gittings there is a slow drift - cutting back his hours and progressively not sitting exams he would need. It seems that because he was so broke, because he, his family and friends were in such bad financial straits , because he had terrible reviews and because he had zero prospects, he couldn't just walk away with a clean early break once and for all.

You have done a great job!

You will find the account by his friend C C Clarke helpful for a first hand account of John keats and he mentions a little on the medical stuff:

http://spenserians.cath.vt.edu/Biograph ... ioid=35228

J R R Reynolds stated that John went to Mr Abbey and told him he had given up his medical career to concentrate on poetry:

It was Mr Abbey’s advice, that John should commence Business at Tottenham as a Surgeon. He communicated his Plans to his Ward, but his Surprise was not moderate, to hear in Reply, that he did not intend to be a surgeon- not intend to be a Surgeon! Why what do you mean to be? I mean to rely on my Abilities as a poet- John you are either Mad or a Fool to talk in so absurd a manner. My mind is made up, said the youngster very quietly. I know that I possess Abilities greater than most Men, and therefore I am determined to gain my Living by exercising them- seeing nothing could be done Abbey called him a Silly Boy, & prophesised a speedy Termination to his inconsiderate Enterprise.” (Cited in Guy Murchie, The Spirit of Place in Keats, 1955, page 45)*

n.b-I can get you the ref Murchie cited if need be.

I don't think he drifted away from it- maybe in his heart he did but he certainly sat all his exams- we know he passed the lot and qualified.Then he made the decision and went to Mr Abbey to tell him so.

He said something about opening up a man's temporal artery "nicely", but didn't think he was cut out for it. I would have to look up the ref for you- but Saturn might know it right away.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Spanglej » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks Raphael. Super helpful. I'll research more and add in.
Best wishes
Spanglej

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:54 pm

If you need any refs let me know!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Spanglej » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:48 am

Thanks
Spanglej

Previous

Return to Life and Letters