The Keats Circle

The life of John Keats the man: his family, his friends, and his contemporaries.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: The Keats Circle

Postby Raphael » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Same here mevans!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby keatsclose » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:36 am

Many thanks, BrokenLyre for the tip about Junkets on a Sad Planet - came across a copy on Amazon and am really looking forward to receiving it, from across the pond, in the new year.

I wonder how many others have come across the title, consisting mostly of interesting portraits accompanied by some illuminating text, Keats and His Circle: An Album of Portraits by Joanna Richardson, published by Cassell in 1980 (at a time when, coincidentally, I was employed by them but in a different department and clearly oblivious!).

Many of the portraits it contains, including a large number from the collection at Keats House and the now familiar 1850s photo of Fanny, were published in it for the first time.
The resemblance between JK and his beloved sister Fanny (although she became somewhat portly in later life - or perhaps it was partly those crinolines) is evident, not to mention that with his niece, Rosa Llanos: the expression seems to shine through despite the faded photograph. These family portraits started me thinking about how Keats himself would have looked in later life, had he been granted such a thing.

Again, it was available through Amazon - an old school library copy for around a pound!
keatsclose

Postby Raphael » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:13 pm

mevans wrote:Oh dear, my list of books about Keats that I want has increased double since I've been visiting the forum. I shall have to take a second job or a loan in order to fulfil my wants!

Mevans- I really recommend Junkets on a sad planet- its cheap on Amazon and worth every penny- it is very moving and intimate- basically it is poems and prose read like a novel or bio of his life ( certain events- the most important ones in his life) and it's unique!It has various narrative voices used which give it a roundedness.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:31 pm

Oh boy do I agree! Love that book! If you want to really "feel" Keats, read Clark. Just my suggestion, but I'm right :D
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Previous

Return to Life and Letters